What do judges look for...

colouredcrazy

Nov 28, 2004
North Herts
www.idonthaveone.ellie
On circles, serpentines, half circles etc? In free walk on a long rein? Working trot/canter/medium walk?
The reason I ask is because at the end of the week, at PC camp we have a one day event. I'm fine on the show jumping and cross country, but unless I get a good mark in dressage I'm stuffed. Having said that, I did win last year with 47%, which is awful considering I got 60% the year before!
Anyway. What do judges look for in the movements listed above? We have 2 20m half circles in trot, 2 20m circles in canter, as well as canter/trot around the arena. We have medium walk for about half a circuit, and free walk on a long rein across the diagonal. And 2 trot serpentines
Also, how best is it to balance a horse in trot after canter? The second last movement in the test is something like 'canter round the arena to F, trot at F, A turn up the centre line...' and so on. So I have (roughly) 15m, on a turn, to balance Foxy so that I can ride up the centre line straight!

Ellie

circles, half circles - correct bend to match the circle, correct sized circle, circle shaped (I see a LOT of squares). Start and end in the same place/correct place

serpentines - evenly sized loops, smooth changes of bend and direction with no change in balance or outline, correct bend on each loop.

In free walk on a long rein - clear 4 beat walk, clear overtracking with active, unhurried steps. Neck stretching forward and down into the contact. Make sure it is a long rein, NOT a loose rein.

Working trot - regular rhythm, good activity without being hurried.

Working canter - as trot but also clear 3 beat step with a clear moment of suspension.

Medium walk - regular 4 beat walk, active steps.

To balance a horse in trot after canter - good preparation in the canter, use half halts to ask the horse to take more weight in the hind leg, and ride the hind leg forward into the trot and think UPHILL. If your horse has a high enough level of schooling think about riding a tiny shoulder fore in the two steps before the transition - helps the balance and engagement.

The second last movement in the test is something like 'canter round the arena to F, trot at F, A turn up the centre line...' - cheat a bit, prepare your trot transition from B and ride it JUST before the horse's nose hits F, strictly this is early (should be as your shoulder is level with the marker) but at this level most judges will not comment and will certainly not penalise you.

The judge will be looking for a relaxed, supple test, with a consistent contact down the rein, in a rounded outline. Off the forehand, but should not be looking for any real degree of engagement at this level.

newrider.com