What did you get taught first? Trotting Q.

BecknSkye

Oct 5, 2005
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Sitting or rising trot?
I got taught rising by the end of my third lesson, and have only done the tiniest amount of sitting in my entire twelve years of riding. Later I kinda figured that we got taught rising because of it being easier on ponies than beginners struggling sit, saves their backs and their patience.
I went to another instructor today who was totally horrified that I'd been taught to rise without learning to sit(and she wasn't overly impressed by my sitting with my pinkies loosely hooked in my OMG handle), so figured I'd ask you NR's for a consensus on what's normal?

I learnt rising trot.

Having said that now I am teaching my daughter (occasionally - she's not that horsey) on our little loan pony, he has such dinky little legs and a small movement in his trot and she has no rythm and can't clap to records that I have gone down the route of teaching sitting trot first. :)

Rising trott

i had my 3rd Lesson yesterday and it was a full lesson on rising trott (i'm a little sore today), however my instructor did put me on a lung at the end of my second lesson and tell me to just relax and sit whilst the horse trotted so I could get a quick feel for sitting trott and I was taught to use sitting trott for downwards transition from rising trott back to walk.

I learned sitting first. Oh gosh, I remember the hours of sitting without stirrups, doing serpentines and circles :rolleyes:. I think this was because my instructor had a strong western background, although she rode/competed in English as well. Also, the horse I was riding at the time had been a vaulting horse, and had the smoothest trot :) I was a bit slow to catch on to the posting thing :eek:, but then I was well past 40 at the time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;))

posting trot first; I didn't learn sitting till I had been riding for 3 years or more.

I learned posting trot first but did sitting trot as soon as I learned posting and did mostly sitting trot with no stirrups during most of my lessons for almost three years and then moved onto cantering with no stirrups.

Rising trot was first for me - many years ago.

Daughter no. 1 had her first lessons on Icelandics, and maybe because they're so comfy she did lots of sitting trot and hardly any rising.

Daughter no. 2 and OH learnt together and did rising first.

my 1st RI was beginning to teach me sitting trot (literally 1 and a bit lessons) then i got a new RI and learnt Rising first - cant do sitting trot anymore

It was so long ago I can barely remember but I'm pretty sure I learnt both at the same time, and did about equal amounts of both during lessons. Used to do loads of work with no stirrups in lessons, and I also school my horses a lot with no stirrups.
I think it's a really good idea to ride without stirrups when you're learning (and after of course!) as it helps improve your seat and balance and helps you learn to move with your horse.

Rising first :) - then sitting with stirrups, then sitting without stirrups, then rising without stirrups (THAT one hurts :p - seemed to be a bit pointless really because it just made me grip with my knees!). Think it's mostly because rising is much easier on the horse's back if you are relatively new to riding - i still sometimes boing myself almost out of the saddle when i take my sitrrups away :p!

It was a good few years ago now but I'm pretty sure I learnt sitting trot first. When I was working in a riding school I know the kids were all taught rising first.

I do sitting first with beginners and get them to count out the trot rhythm of their horse/ponies trot. Then we go back to walk to catch breath and change direction and discuss rising in time to the rhythm they have just counted.

The next trot they do is the first attempt at rising.Usually i will get them to do mostly rising then,til they get it organised and then can go back to some sitting work mixed in with the rising.

newrider.com