What comes first? Chicken or egg?

*Sez*

Salsa & Solstice Twilight
Sep 12, 2003
North Yorkshire
salsachronicles.blogspot.com
After all the troubles I've had with Salsa's back and saddles, I'm very cautious about saddle fit.
Thinking ahead here, as it'll be at least another two years before River is being introduced to tack, but what comes first? Saddle fitting or backing? :confused:

It's been suggested that I pick up a cheap cub saddle for introducing to her, i.e. first time on her back, first girthing, long-reining in etc, and to have her backed in this, then go looking for a good saddle and have it properly fitted before she starts any real work. But how important is it to have a properly fitted saddle right from the start? I have a basic knowledge of saddle fit, and check my own saddle on a regular basis, so I would be able to ensure her saddle wasn't pinching or far too big, but ultimately a professional saddle fitter would be required to ensure a good fit. I'm considering a WOW saddle or something similar for her that could be adjusted as she matures, as I've got plenty of time to put money into her savings account and save up for one, but I'm now very confused about whether or not I should start off with something that "will do" until she's backed but I don't want to risk either her back or creating any negative associations with saddles.

I know everyone does things differently, but I'd just like a feel of what others have done with their youngsters.

First girthing, you do when you start to long line & use a roller.

Surcingle - proceed to roller - proceed to correctly tightened girth.

Backing, I always go for using a bareback pad first, get the person above me/on me bit done first, then once comfy, indroduce a saddle that you know is wide enough etc , just get her used to having it on, wearing it lunging etc, having someone sit on it for small amounts of time in walk. then once thats non plus. bring in your saddle fitter & fit safely.

I agree with Louki - take things step-by-step. Most importantly always ensure that the horse is comfortable. I never understand why people say that any old saddle will do when starting a youngster (many people use ancient saddles, with gullets so narrow they are not fit for use on any horse!).
After all if a horse's first memories of ridden work are that of discomfort, the foundations set are going to be crumbling before they have even started...

That's pretty much what I originally thought. Thanks for the reassurance!
Trouble is that too many people have too many different ideas and insist that their way is the way to do it.

Hadn't considered a bareback pad initially. What a great idea!

get a saddle fitted first. you can always get an adjustable one, like a wintec etc, that is cheap enough that it isn't a disaster if she does anything to it! but even on the floor, if she associates pain with work, you'll have years trying to get that out of her head and it really does make a difference. good luck!

If you do go for a WOW saddle for her (which I recommend cause I love them) I wouldn't use it as the first saddle on her back, as they are heavy.

If you do go for a WOW saddle for her (which I recommend cause I love them) I wouldn't use it as the first saddle on her back, as they are heavy.

Thank you :) I've never used one, but a friend of mine had them for her youngsters and highly recommended them. In that case, I'll probably go for an adjustable synthetic initially, as I can always sell it on when I'm done with it, and as georgie0 said, it's no great loss if it gets damaged by accident.

Re saddle, Thorowgood GP is good for adjusting on youngsters.

Echo the surcingle and gradual tightening of girth/buckle. Walk her round in it so she's not focussed on the weird thing and leave it on her tied up for a little while-treats are a good distraction if you do hand treats or a haynet.

Am carefully following the backing of 4 horses at the yard currently.:)

would you REALLY want river prancing around with a super expensive wow on her back during backing?! i certainly wouldn't!! i'd always go the synthetic route as they will grow so fast. Having done my fitting course, i selected a saddle for kezzie and then got it checked by my fitter. we went for a thorowgood. It was slightly wide, easily solved with a half pad. now he's filled out we don't need any pad. i had another youngster roll in a saddle. thank god it was a relatively cheap synthetic. had it been his expensive grandee i think i'd have cried :rolleyes::p

newrider.com