What colour is this horse?

Unicorn1980

Aug 9, 2007
Scotland
This is my gelding Harley, hes turning 8 this year and id love to finally know what colour he is. His passport says 'skewbald' and i thought for a while he was strawberry roan but the white hairs in his coat are just as apparent on his face as his patches and i was always told with roan the white hairs didn't reach the face and he also has one small black bit in this mane. Hes much darker in the winter closer in colour to what i would call liver chesnut and in summer light chesnut. Someone else has said he could be Appaloosa x as has some of the traits and could be pintolossa or appino? Id just like to know what colour hes classed as and the dreaded question will he eventually turn white? :confused: :p

Winter
harleystable2.jpg
harleywinter.jpg

Summer
harleyneck.jpg
ABCD0008.jpg
ABCD0015-3.jpg

Many thanks to anyone who can help! :confused:

Well skewbald is ANY colour with white other than black so technically that is correct but he's a very interesting collection of markings/colours. He does look a bit tovero, plus splashed white legs and his nearside eye also looks Appy. What a lovely combination - another one like him would be a rare find :)

In the first couple of photos I'd guess liver chestnut as the base colour, but the last photo makes him look more bay. Though is that a black streak in his mane?

Skewbald Tovero (I think- not the best with patterns) (possibly liver chestnut based depending on whether I'm imagining the black in his mane :p) with some spotted pattern at work too. An appaloosa roaning pattern is my guess with a small snowcap blanket. :p

I'm probably completely wrong though.

Best ask Chev. ;)

the black spots on his back and rump with the white frosting suggest to me that he has some appaloosa in him. He looks like a skewbald blanket spot. He is very unique whatever it is :D

Sorry ive not been able to get on for a few days, yeah he does have a black bit in his mane which just makes him all the more confusing. Im one of those people who likes to know exactly what something is! Thanks everyone for all your ideas! :D

newrider.com