What colour is this horse??

ginny!

Now went to Yorkshire Show and watched the jumping and saw this horse. Very unusual and I was in total awe as it went round the arena.

What colour is he/she ?? They totally confused me as I don't think i have seen a colour quite like them!!:eek:

3730897584_7a10d9cc4a.jpg

3730097961_54e729567e.jpg

3730096137_3246637dff.jpg

3730843360_39c1b6e054.jpg

(I think the rider was having difficulty stopping.... flattering picture, i know:rolleyes:)
3730047887_ef74a15b3a.jpg

would you look at the jump on that horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its like the horse is flying through the air, some great pics there.

no idea of the colour.

Its a bay sabino, no roan or appaloosa. You commonly get the markings on Clydesdales, and gypsy cobs where it is called Blagdon. Sabino is caused by more than one gene, its very common and can be so extreme the horse is pure white or as little as a tiny spot of white.
Its a beautiful horse! (Adds to wish list :D ).

I thought that apart from on their head, sabino's weren't supposed to have any white higher than the elbow/stifle line??? :confused:

Yes, Sabino's can have high stockings.

My Mini mare Theia has high back stockings... she is genetic tested to be Sabino. But her markings are no where near as flashy as that horse!

Here's a couple of places to look at the various Sabino marked horses.
http://www.mustangs4us.com/Horse Colors/sabino.htm

http://www.apha.com/breed/geneticeq4.html

http://www.homozygous-horses.com/sabino.html

From the US Davis site.
Sabino 1

Sabino is a generic description for a group of similar white spotting patterns. The sabino pattern is described as irregular spotting usually on the legs, belly and face, often with extensive roaning. A mutation has recently been discovered that produces one type of sabino pattern. It has been named Sabino1 as it is not present in all sabino-patterned horses. More mutations will probably be identified that account for other sabino patterns.

Sabino1 is inherited as an autosomal dominant mutation. One copy of the Sabino1 gene is expected to produce horses with two or more white legs or feet -- often with white running up the anterior part of the leg, an extensive blaze, spotting on the midsection, with jagged or roaned margins to the pattern. Horses with 2 copies of the Sabino1 gene, are at least 90% white and are referred to as Sabino-white.

Sabino1 is most commonly found in Tennessee Walking Horses. Other breeds in which this mutation has been found include: American Miniature Horses, American Paint Horses, Aztecas, Missouri Foxtrotters, Shetland Ponies, Spanish Mustangs and Pony of the Americas. Other breeds of horses that are known to have sabino patterns, such as Clydesdales and Arabians, have so far tested negative for the Sabino1 mutation, although the number of animals tested is low.

Sabino 1 results are reported as:

N/N No evidence of altered sequence detected.
N/SB1 One copy of the Sabino1 gene detected. Horse typically may have 2 or more white legs, blaze, spots or roaning in the midsection and jagged margins around white areas.
SB1/SB1 Two copies of the Sabino1 gene detected. Complete or nearly complete white phenotype expected.

Reference: Brooks S.A. and Bailey E. Exon skipping in the KIT gene causes a Sabino spotting pattern in horses. Mammalian Genome 16:893-902, 2005.

Last edited:
Thankyou!!:D I knew NR would know the answer;)

Ok, really daft question and i feel a bit stupid asking but.... how do you pronounce it?? I always get pronunciations wrong:eek:

.... And also Overo, Tobiano, Rabicano ??:eek:

(ETA : And homozygous and Heterozygous)

*goes to hide in corner ashamed*

Last edited:
I remember seeing this horse at the Royal Highland this year, id love to have a horse of unusual colour, it realy stands out.

Ok, really daft question and i feel a bit stupid asking but.... how do you pronounce it?? I always get pronunciations wrong:eek:

.... And also Overo, Tobiano, Rabicano ??:eek:

(ETA : And homozygous and Heterozygous)

*goes to hide in corner ashamed*

Not so sure on the horsey colouring pronounciation but homozygous and heterozygous are said pretty much exactly as they are spelt
homo-zI-gous/hetero-zI-gous.

I think Overo said like it is spelt with a slight accent (or stress...i don't know how to describe it) on the "er" part (Overo)
Tobiano - Tob-I-ano. (I as in me,myself and I sound)

I don't know about the other one and thats just how i've heard these words pronounced (well except from homzygous and heterozygous as i study biology and have to use them all the time lol)

wow that was more difficult to explain than i thought lol

Last edited:
The mothers passport actually says pink! The colt i think would be a chestnut sabino but hes blingy chestnut to most of us ?

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com