What Colour Hat, Boots And Tack Do You Use?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I didn't know where to put this.

I am generally "if it fits wear it person". I have just bought a new hat because the one i have is standard 2001 and this is 2010. It is blue as I like blue and the body protector is blue.

Now though i think it looks odd with brown boots and black tack? Or is this something people don't notice if it matches but it looks odd so would notice. Oh my reins are gold but they are not in use yet (sort of matched brown boots. :biggrin:

Well for the last 20 odd years I have been a black tack lady on my piebalds but brown on my skewbald. Now I have the last colour of horse I would EVER have bought (bay!) , I have her all tacked out in brown. And so I have the quandary that my black joddy boots, black half chaps, look odd against her brown leather girth. My hat is black - for some reason the colour of my hat doesnt have to match - but the leg wear does!:unsure:

So I am now trawling ebay for brown joddy boots and chaps that will not break the bank and have Mr.C going into meltdown (yet again!:giggle:)

When I was a working girl I would just go out and buy what ever colour I wanted....sadly as a pensioner I really, really need to cure myself of this extravagance!:biggrin:

I have brown Jodphur boots and chaps if want to swap? :giggle:
My long boots were a gift and so comfortable i thought of spraying black!

:giggle: I bet my fat old legs wouldn't get into your skinny young chaps or boots!

Your comment about the long boots has reminded me - in the winter I wear long black rubber boots, but why don't they do long brown rubber boots? Or do they?

Black tack and saddle cloth. Brown riding trainers and burgundy jods. I'm not bothered about things matching so don't notice what other people have. I guess the sort of people who would notice and comment on stuff not matching are generally people I would mix with anyway, mind you I'm a loner by choice so it doubly doesn't matter.

That's the odd quirk about me - I have never actually decided what colours to wear or use on my horse based on what other people might think. It has always just been a slightly OCD'ish thing with me based purely on what makes me feel happy!:biggrin:

I suspect that the roots of this little quirkiness lie deeply in a childhood of abject poverty that necessitated the use of any bit of leather with a bit attached and a non existent saddle!:bounce:

I have brown tack because somewhere way back in my youth someone told me "brown for riding, black for driving". Also I just like brown leather.

Boots are also brown.

Hat is light blue! Or silver. Go figure.

Tobes has brown tack. I have a selection of brown or black breeches, and black boots.

I am tempted by some brown boots and as my few years ago present from friend of fur lined synthetic boots for winter riding have now cracked - grr, was thinking about treating myself for the winter to brown fur lined boots. But I am one of those people who think footwear always has to be darker than legwear. So couldn't wear black breeches with brown boots!!!!

Decisions, decisions!!!

This is wierd. Both the horses I ride have brown tack - so normal that I thought all tack was brown. And all good boots black.
My stirrups leathers are black too, because that is what my RI has and she bought mine for me.
My clothing is seasonal. In summer I have blue jean breeches, and put a blue silk over my hat. Blue waterproof too. My warm winter riding clothes are all black, plus a black velvet for the hat.
I wear my long black boots both summer and winter - all my UK boots are black. It never occurred to me they need to match the tack. I ride any horse in brown tack and my black stiurrup leathers. You wouldnt approve Cortrasna.

:biggrin:Skib that is the bizarre thing - if a rider passed me on the road and you asked me what colours they were wearing etc. I couldn't tell you. I would more likely be able to tell you every minute detail about their horse, rather than their choice of riding apparel!

It is just that mine has to be what is correct in my eyes - not a bit fussed what anyone else wears or what they might or might not notice about my riding colour combinations.:unsure: I'm sure half an hour on a reputable analyst's couch could clear the matter up for me.:biggrin:

Now C I do understand where you are coming from but I Joyscarer I do not notice or care what other people are wearing and would never pass comment.

Chanter has all black tack both sets for Dressage he only wears a black/white saddle cloth and matching boots. For jumping and hacking he wears black or bottle green saddle cloth with back boots, ruined only by the hy viz:redcarded:

I on the other hand have to match only me, I either wear black jobs and chaps if wearing black/gray breeches and shirt/polo matching black or brown if wearing green/brown/demin breeches jackets always match the outfit but again only ruined by the BP and hy viz

Another boring black person over here! :tongue:

Black hat, black jods, black top, black jacket, black tack, black boots....somtimes i do wear brown boots though but i prefer my black ones :tongue::giggle:

Chocolate brown and baby blue... BP, hat, saddle cloth....

2-4.jpg

Including a matching browband made by Dannii..... (not illustrated in this pic..)

'cept my saddle which is BLACK! :frown: :giggle:

Another boring black person over here! :tongue:

Black hat, black jods, black top, black jacket, black tack, black boots....somtimes i do wear brown boots though but i prefer my black ones :tongue::giggle:

But the rest of you is matching with the browband. :biggrin:

Had i have just bought another brown hat we wouldn't have a thread! :yellowcarded: I just feel i should now have black boots and not brown.
My gloves are blue i think.

Erm, black, black and black here... but I do have lots of Pink Hi Vis to colour us up a bit! Jodhs are whatever I happen to pick up from pink tiger stripes to brown/black whatever, usually covered in horse slobber or mud within the space of ten minutes anyway. I didn't know you could get hats in any other colour to be honest, just picked what fit! Unless you count my super fleece yard hat... that's red and black with go faster flames.. :giggle:

newrider.com