What can I buy my nan who is stuck at home?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
She can't go out due to illness and hasn't been out for months and I feel awful I wasn't aware how bad she had got.

So I am going to see her Friday and would like to get her some flowers and little bits to try and make her feel better, just not sure what to buy as she can't eat anything?

Maybe some bath things? Any ideas? Thankyou

Does she read? Does she like watching Dvds? You can buy lots of them on Ebay - for very little - perhaps find out if she likes a particular series?
Does she do puzzles? How about some magazines and puzzles?
Yes, bath stuff is nice too.

How about some nice scented candles - see can enjoy a lovely aroma whenever she likes? Also it's nice to give them something to do, so maybe she would like a nice photo album, she could then spend time reminiscing and putting pictures in?

It's difficult isn't it? My dad is in a similar situation and I have found a jigsaw puzzle for him. He used to be very involved in a F1 motor racing team, so I managed to find a puzzle with Ayrton Senna (his favourite driver) sitting in one of the cars. Saving that for christmas though! :wink:

I bought for my grandmother a lovely teapot for one and matching teacup & side plate, along with a hamper of posh tea, shortbreads etc. She was made up with it and used it daily :)

ETA: sorry I just saw she cant eat anything, maybe just the first part of the gift!

When my own mother got beyond the usual edible gifts and smelly stuff we bought her a little CD player and trawled the world for all her favourite types of music, from Irish traditional to some pan pipe music and some classical, and the all time favourites Vera Lynn WW2 era. She absolutely loved it! And as she was in a nursing home she often shared the pleasure with her fellow residents, most of whom where equally armchair ridden for most of the day.:smile:

The bonus was that the music she loved often evoked many happy memories and would encourage all of them to start chatting about their own experiences etc. So a win win situation.:smile:

When my own mother got beyond the usual edible gifts and smelly stuff we bought her a little CD player and trawled the world for all her favourite types of music, from Irish traditional to some pan pipe music and some classical, and the all time favourites Vera Lynn WW2 era. She absolutely loved it! And as she was in a nursing home she often shared the pleasure with her fellow residents, most of whom where equally armchair ridden for most of the day.:smile:

The bonus was that the music she loved often evoked many happy memories and would encourage all of them to start chatting about their own experiences etc. So a win win situation.:smile:

I did this for my Mum & Dad, and they had loads of use from it. Audio books can be really good too because older folks often find it hard to hold a book for more than a few minutes.

newrider.com