What breed/build horse/pony do you have?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
As you know in the last few years Ive changed to owning native/cob types cause I feel they're more practical for me ATM and tbh have really fallen for them, just wondered what types of horses/ponies others had and if there was a reason for their choice?

I have a 13.3 heavyweight cob who is convinced he is a sports horse.

I'm only 5ft 1 and I am not flexible. But I can get on him from the floor, he is heavy enough to carry me (I'm NOT skinny) and if I had to get another horse I'd look for something a similar size. Maybe a Highland!

Reactions: tikkitti
I bought Cally, a fell pony. She's built like a tank but has fabulous movement. I liked her for her combination of temperament and ability:

I have a 14.1/14.2 ish Connemara or Connie type (elm thinks he may have a bit of Draught in him). Chunky, pretty pony type, totally unschooled, stiff and stubborn! But I love him.

Mine is a Haflinger 14'2 solid as a rock, bought her because she felt right when I tried her. I'd like to say it's easy to keep her but being such a good doer it's actually much harder work than the TB I had prior to her. Wouldn't swap her though, don't imagine I'll ever have another horse but if I did I would probably go for something similar in size and temperament.

I have Sonny who is a full Quarter horse (old type) 15.31/2 hands hes stocky and bulky.But is not out of the bloodlines with muscle problems.= I think it is "impressive" lines that had issues.
Andi Is a QH/APPY cross 15.1 hands and slimmer build.

I have a Belgian draft that gets mistaken for a highland for his curves and short legs (from afar) and a comtois for his colouring.
He's as wide as his height, strong as hell, but a complete pansy (I threw a carrot over the fence the other night and he bolted to the bottom of the field.)
Otherwise he's built for slow steady work which suits my happy hacking tendencies but he's got one heck of a backside on him which can shift when the mood takes him. Wouldn't change him for the world but I'd think twice before buying another one. I'm constantly worried about joint issues on such a big horse.

My girl is a 15hh Appaloosa x Criollo, she's more of a stock horse/cow horse type build, than some of the sport horse type Appies about.

I prefer a 'stock horse' built type horse. Next horse might be Quarter Horse, Appaloosa, or even and Arab or a Connemara.

I have a 15hh ribless connie x (crossed with arab) and a 15.2hh medium weight cob who is actually really a polar bear hybrid:D:p
We used to have a 16.2hh tb who was bonkers, brave and the love of OH's life:D

I have a lovable, opinionated, full of character cob. He is just about 15h and he suits me well as i am only 5'3, although i do not think he is a full bred cob as he just has a look of something else in him, my trimmer thinks fresian but i'm not sure.. He also has a dainty trot and looks very pretty when moving and he knows it .;)

Albi is a traditional gypsy cob and Jack is a Clydesdale X Welsh D. Albi has been with me since he was 11 months old and he was 6 last Monday. I tell everyone he's my labrador in the shape of a pony. I bought him because he had a sweet face and he still has.

Jack was at a RS, severely underweight and hated life in general, he would plant and they spent most of the time chasing him with a whip, at which he would kick out but not actually move. We bought him because we felt sorry for him and we though that with a little TLC he would be stunning. And we were right. Four years later and he has trained us to accept his quirks without question and he repays us by being a very safe and these days, forward-going, hack for my husband.

He mostly acts Clydedale, but occasionally we see a little Welsh D escape....

Domane, hes absolutely gorgeous.
I have a 16.3 chestnut mare. Just turned 17. She's TB x ID. A sport horse, although she thinks she's a racehorse. I loaned her for 14 months before I bought her, 2yrs this November. Best thing I've ever done.
43da805fb7ed9bb8c91b811702eb7c83.jpg

Mouse is a 12.1 crossbred pony - slightly Welsh-like in appearance but not very stocky, and he is very narrow in front. I didn't pick him for his type/build - or anything else for that matter, as he was a surprise birthday present.
Annie is a 14.2 Portuguese type, I don't know her breeding as she was rescued from gypsies but she has Lusitano and Arab features so could be a cross of those. Compact / short-coupled with long dainty legs, but deceptively wide in the shoulders when you get on! Her build didn't have much to do with why I got her - I had a week's trial and liked her for her character and how she was to ride, her physical type wasn't a factor.
I've ridden so many different types of horse/pony now I don't really have a preference! Though would go for a pony over a horse most of the time :p

I have a heavyweight 16.1hh shire x tb. He is much more shire than tb and is built like a tank. He is safe and sensible, but also likes to jump and can do some nice flatwork when he puts his mind to it. He really is a little bit too big for me as I am only 5ft 3" and look perched on top of him sometimes but I wouldn't swap him for anything. He is perfect.

I have a tall, but exceptionally racing snake hips Modern competition style Icelandic. He is a totally different shape from the old fashioned types we had before

I have a 13.2hh welsh x bought him because he was just what I needed. A pony that had been there, done that and bought several t-shirts!! He's not fine and not chunky, somewhere in-between. He's a proper first pony, always took care of his rider but would move up a gear and throw in the odd acrobatic move when he felt you could cope with it!! (he's now an occasionally grumpy, mostly snuggly retired old man :) )

And a 14hh spotted pony (appy x cob, or brittish spotted... Who knows!!) he's chunkier than B, was green when I bought him and has the sweetest nature. He'll try his hardest for you if you ask gently! Really I bought him because I fell in love with his colour!!

I have a 14.2hh hairy footed coblet on long loan as a confidence giver after I had a couple of nasty falls that scared me. She's quirky but always looks out for me and I love her to bits. She's built like a shed with a table top flat back and if I'm honest she's a bit wide for me but I wouldn't be without her.

I also have the one-eyed git who is a pet really but he has a sense of humour and makes me laugh.

I have a 15.1hh 7 year old cob gelding and he's made the fact I changed to chunkier types much more fun for me, he's got fizz and that sparkle but a decent dose of sense amd kindness too which makes him a really nice honest horse. A friend I met out riding actually asked how much I'd sell him for this morning and I said I couldn't, so I guess he is here to stay. I also have a 14.3ish 5 year old dales, he's not long been broke so still green, probably my last youngster as due to children, Ive struggled to work him as much as I'd of liked. Although he's come a long way and has a nice attitude to work. Decided to changed to hairys as I didn't have the time to ride daily, I wanted to be able to winter out with a shelter if I ever needed to and to be honest just wanted to have nice fun horses/ponies. x

@chev ..... I know you were asking about saddles the other day but if you find the right one for your mare and you, you may find that she doesn't feel as wide. I have ridden Albi in a T'good Cob, one of the original FlexEE's, a Wintec Wide and about 3 different styles of treeless... all of which made my hips groan. However, I find the NPS I bought a couple of months ago feels absolutely wonderful and suddenly he's not as wide!

Domane thanks for that. ATM I'm struggling to find a local fitter but it's also going to be a while before I can afford a decent English saddle hence all the questions!

newrider.com