What bits do u ride your cobs in

Aln

Jun 5, 2016
I ride my seven year old cob x shire in a mikmar bit very popular in America and I have got that many bits I have rode him in and find that I have to pull on his mouth which I don't like to do so changes him to this mikmar bit and perfect no more pulling on his mouth and still have good brakes at same time

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I wouldn't say they're very popular in the states, not the parts I've visited or worked in or had contact with in almost 20 years of western riding anyway, that's more of the marketing hype. It's good it works for you tho.

Reactions: Aln

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I have braking problems with my pony but he still goes in an eggbutt snaffle. We have tried many different bits and he's equally hard to stop in all of them once he gets going, so I figure I might as well use a gentle one!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Mine's a welsh cob rather than a "proper" cob. He's ridden in a Myler low port comfort snaffle with hanging cheek & no slots.

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Kia has a plain old frenchlink loose ring.

However in his jumping/hunting/common riding days I needed extra brakes as he got over enthusiastic and pulled like a train, so we had a loopring frenchlink with a gag like action to give me some breaks.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Is that a fairly advanced bjt for Western or am I getting that mixed up with shank bus in general.

We use a loose ring ns beval.

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Is that a fairly advanced bjt for Western or am I getting that mixed up with shank bus in general.

We use a loose ring ns beval.
I thought it was a gentle american bit used mainly on horses for kids that are new to riding so they dont hurt when pulling. Never heard anything else about the bit as no one knows much about them, me included

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Happy mouth straight snaffle for PRJ no complaints from him as of yet and no need to upgrade yet, still got brakes, mainly bevause stopping is his favourite thing! Lazy bugger

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I thought it was a gentle american bit used mainly on horses for kids that are new to riding so they dont hurt when pulling. Never heard anything else about the bit as no one knows much about them, me included
The owner would reply to this though wouldn't they, you wouldn't need to know about the bit

A shank bit isn't for beginners is it? @Jessey Maybe I am wrong but I think of a shank for an advanced light horse and experienced rider with light hands.

I think this is why people are getting muddled because you are answering for your friend. Well I am confused can't speak for others. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortrasna

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Mikmar make various versions of their bits, some are snaffle, some are shanked. @newforest you are right a western shanked bit is used on a finished horse and by good hands.

The thing that is different is the mouthpiece, it's a cast mouthpiece with a port and roller. They're pretty chunky and wouldn't be suited to any horse without much space in the mouth.

I've seen them for sale but never heard or seen anyone using them, the original ones were very bulky (the sides were also cast and not very nice to look at) and also light so not suited to reining as it makes the aids a fuzzy.

Any bit with a tall narrow port is unsuitable for novices IMO, as you can do serious damage to the roof of the mouth with them handled improperly, they can be very severe. The results could be horrific if it were used with a noseband especially something like a flash that clamps the mouth shut and would exaggerate the leverage on the port. Like many bits when understood and used sympathetically they can be gentle but poorly understood and in bad hands they could be awful. You have to remember that many Americans consider severe bits to be novice bits, a 'shanked snaffle' is a prime example, when you understand the mechanics of it they are not gentle at all, but in the US it is a bit commonly used by novices and in bringing on young horses. You only have to look at the chain and twisted wire snaffle to know their not gentle but its just a snaffle so it must be suitable for novice hands right? ;)

Last edited:

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I"ve had to get a thinner mouthpiece than we had before because she has a big tongue and not much space.
She can shove grass in well enough though :D

Reactions: Jessey

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Dolly is in a NS baucher with the lozenge - she loves it and really goes nicely. It took me 18 months to find a bit she didn't fight though, but she also came to me with a ragged old jointed happy Mouth with all sorts of bitten plastic splinters jagging her in the mouth and teeth that hadn't seen a dentist in many years, if ever :mad: I am guessing she was also recovering from learned pain in the mouth at that time, hence the long journey to find one she would accept happily.

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
The owner would reply to this though wouldn't they, you wouldn't need to know about the bit

A shank bit isn't for beginners is it? @Jessey Maybe I am wrong but I think of a shank for an advanced light horse and experienced rider with light hands.

I think this is why people are getting muddled because you are answering for your friend. Well I am confused can't speak for others. :p
I wasnt answering for her i was saying what i had heard they was for... Or is that now allowed?

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Mikmar make various versions of their bits, some are snaffle, some are shanked. @newforest you are right a western shanked bit is used on a finished horse and by good hands.

The thing that is different is the mouthpiece, it's a cast mouthpiece with a port and roller. They're pretty chunky and wouldn't be suited to any horse without much space in the mouth.

I've seen them for sale but never heard or seen anyone using them, the original ones were very bulky (the sides were also cast and not very nice to look at) and also light so not suited to reining as it makes the aids a fuzzy.

Any bit with a tall narrow port is unsuitable for novices IMO, as you can do serious damage to the roof of the mouth with them handled improperly, they can be very severe. The results could be horrific if it were used with a noseband especially something like a flash that clamps the mouth shut and would exaggerate the leverage on the port. Like many bits when understood and used sympathetically they can be gentle but poorly understood and in bad hands they could be awful. You have to remember that many Americans consider severe bits to be novice bits, a 'shanked snaffle' is a prime example, when you understand the mechanics of it they are not gentle at all, but in the US it is a bit commonly used by novices and in bringing on young horses. You only have to look at the chain and twisted wire snaffle to know their not gentle but its just a snaffle so it must be suitable for novice hands right? ;)
U arent allowed to say what it is, the original poster has to say apparently

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I wasnt answering for her i was saying what i had heard they was for... Or is that now allowed?

Don't worry you are just experiencing the NR Post Police in action :rolleyes:
There was nothing confusing or inappropriate about what you wrote as far as I can tell. x

Reactions: Prjsmk