What bit would be best suited to my horse?

5 inches sounds quite a large bit for a 14.2hh TBx - have you checked the fit of your current bit? Also has she had her teeth & back checked recently? Napping & opening her mouth could be a sign that she's uncomfortable.
The cheapest alternative is to fit rubber bit rings (£2) to your existing bit - this will a) reduce the width a little & b) prevent the bit sliding through her mouth (unless she opens it really wide, in which case she'll have plenty to chew on!). Otherwise, if you're happy with your current bit (& her teeth/back/saddle are ok) I'd just get a cheap noseband - flash or drop - instead of spending out on another bit which may/not work.
Happy riding.

i think just go for a full cheek in whatever you have at the moment to start with then adress any problems from there. it sounds like the mouthpiece suits her, so stick with it and just change the 'cheeks'

unless she likes the hanging cheek action (acts on the poll i think) then maybe go for a different bit with french link mouth piece like a pelham or kimblewick *(only ones that come to mind with poll pressure, someone else will know more alternatives ;))

perhaps add a cavesson noseband aswell? it doesnt really do much i dont think but she might need something there with the joint action on the roof of her mouth :confused:

ok have googled and no french link kimblewicks (there is a very expensive fancy name one, but not classed as french link, its a 'wonder product' :rolleyes:) next step is a french link pelham i suppose if the full cheek doesnt work.

ETA this is what that bit is called- Sprenger KK Conrad Ultra Kimblewick its made of a sweet metal aswell.
http://www.pelhamtack.co.uk/cart.php?target=product&product_id=768&category_id=52

Last edited:
newrider.com