What Bareback Pad Do You Have And Why?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Question in the title.
I have the best friend pad, but wondered about trying the new Libra bareaback pad that apparently converts to saddle. Anyone got one? Used to have the older style saddle but remember these coming out.
Obviously got baby pone now and i do start off initially without saddle.

Bestfriend Bareback pad - because it came highly recommended by you in many posts! :giggle:

I have the Western option as I like the idea of the pocket I have never used. It because it was big enough to fit around the ample barrel of my girl with the option of extenders available for it and I love riding her bareback but wanted something to stop me getting a white bum without taking too much away from being bareback otherwise I may as well put my saddle on?

Same here... Best friend bareback pad, don't use it often on my boy but struggle to stay on him without it, he has a very shiney but very slippery coat and a rather boingy trot! plus the extra bit of padding is most useful to protect my 'girly bits' from his razor sharp withers!

398966_10151413662565335_745015334_23664368_2090635729_n.jpg

I got the parelli one, had it years as did my level 2 with my old boy in it, it's full suede which is nice as you don't slide. It is also very secure and has a good leather stiff handle.

398966_10151413662565335_745015334_23664368_2090635729_n.jpg

I got the parelli one, had it years as did my level 2 with my old boy in it, it's full suede which is nice as you don't slide. It is also very secure and has a good leather stiff handle.

Is a copy of these on the market, tempted to try. Does the ring get in the way?

This is my favourite pad, kinda looks small on her.

2012-03-27102536-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the best friends one too - same one and colour as new forest. I love it and it is definitely better for Harvey AND me as although cobby looking he had a araby back with big shoulders and a raised spine. Also a lot more stick for transitions etc. have used it on smaller ponies too with success :)

None, because the book from which I learned is by someone who argues against them. And because I am not slim so dont need padding.
Anyway I thought the whole point of bareback was that it is slippery? And that's why it improves one's balance?
There is something totally sensual about feeling the back and muscles of the horse directly against ones jeans.

There is something totally sensual about feeling the back and muscles of the horse directly against ones jeans.

Gosh Skib, that sounds a bit kinky you should try writing for Mills & Boon :giggle: I agree with you though!

I am not well padded and i am going to be riding a young pony, so she won't be muscled yet.
Just personal choice, this time of year i won't be covered in loose hair for one.

Pony's choice, Jack would not let me on without it. For hacking i could pop saddle bag on the handle at the front.

Eta

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/ekkia/apollo-pony-pads/index.html

wondered about these as slightly thicker and basically where the pad idea came from.

Last edited:
newrider.com