What are your thoughts on this crack?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
Kev has had a thin crack on his fore (the only white one) for at least the past 7 weeks.

I noticed it when he was last getting shod, the farrier said it was superficial and not to worry. I've changed farriers due to the move, so will ask them when they are out on thu.

I think it might be a sand crack, but I know nothing about them. A bit worried that it goes all the way up to the coronet band.

For info he gets a scoop of hifi good doer morning and night with superflex and micronised linseed.

Are you able to get a photo side on and underneath? The foot looks very upright, but from one picture its impossible to tell...

It does look very fine, the issue may come as the crack grows down to the floor level as the loading on the hoof wall may cause it to widen

His feet are quite upright on direction of the vet. He had X-rays taken earlier this year which showed he needed his toes taken back and rolled. My old farrier put him in natural balance shoes which change the break over point and he's not been lame since....touch wood!

Here's a couple of other photos. These were taken after he was shod 7 weeks ago.

You can see it doesn't go deep at all, it's cosmetic, have you asked the farrier his opinion on it, he/she is the best person to ask as they are there looking at the job IRL

Rubic had a crack like that and it never came to anything. Vets and farriers always told me it was nothing to worry about. Sometimes it would start to disappear but it never complete went.

There looks to be a diet a change type line just towards the bottom of it (I couldn't tell if this was a bulge in the first photo), but otherwise they are nice feet :) there is very low ittle flare, good heels and nice big frogs :)

Mine has something similar, its been OK. Hers is a bit deeper and farrier said don't worry so I don't.

Mine has them on both his backs, and hes barefoot. Hes had them for years and they have not split out at all. Dont worry unless it starts to open.

newrider.com