What are your opinions on fox hunting?

An_Riz

May 20, 2017
I'm curious to get people's views on this. I know it's illegal in some parts of the UK, but I'm sure it's still done... Do any of you do it? Do you enjoy it? I recently tagged along with a yard I ride with to take some photos and to see what it was like. I have to say apart from the many wonderful photo opportunities (and beautiful clothing) I found it quite boring. It was short moments of action with many longer periods of waiting, standing around, following the hounds round the fields.

I have to say I failed to fully understand why people enjoy it... I would much rather a jaunt through the beautiful countryside, jumping stone walls and ditches and all, but when you add the fox element to it it starts to not make sense. Why are we following a pack of dogs who will eventually rip an animal to shreds in 3 seconds? Not to mention having to then have someone come along and shovel away what's left of the fox. When you really think about it... isn't it all a bit pointless? Maybe people enjoy the sense of accomplishment it brings, although they haven't done much to catch the fox themselves. I don't know. I'm genuinely curious to hear opinions, this isn't a "you are a monster if you enjoy it" post. I swear! Im new to the whole thing so I may be ignorant of its origin/tradition/purpose.

I've only ever hunted once, on a borrowed pony that I'd ridden once to accompany a friend on her new hunter. Not my best experience since, although he was fine while hounds were moving, he was a sod when they weren't to the extent that I was about to get a rollocking from the Master until I span him round to be me by "don't worry about it dear, you won't stop that one!" as he recognised the pony.

I've never hunted a horse of my own. William had been banned from the local hunt when younger & had also broken a girl's pelvis hunting when an argument about what he could do resulted in him somersaulting on to her - if my parents had known that before we bought him we'd never have had him! Jim was far too strong & headstrong, I'd never have held him & he'd have been a danger to the whole field, not to mention probably getting in front of the fox lol. Little Un doesn't like dogs & doesn't jump, fairly significant problems in a hunter.

On a general level I think the other methods of fox control are worse, unless you have a good marksman with a rifle who will follow an injured fox if the shot isn't a clean kill & put an end to it. What I do dislike is the habit of blocking up earths & using terriers, if a fox can get to what should be safety he should be allowed that sanctuary and not chased into it.

Last edited:
They hunt at work, though the hunting season hasn't started yet. Cubbing starts next weekend and what you describe sounds like cubbing as opposed to hunting. It is usually alot of standing around and early in the morning. Opening meet, the 1st official hunt day,isn't for a few weeks here yet. There is generally alot more action on a hunt day and you can cover alot of ground. The hunt here can start at a point and can end up 10+ miles away and it's not a straight line to get there. A full days hunt can be 7 hours. Meets usually start at 10-10.30 and can go to 5ish.

I've been to both, years ago with the point to pointers and a few days with current work so I could come away early with the youngest child.

I have nothing against people doing it but unless I'm asked to go for work purposes I have no desire to do it. more because of all the people (I don't enjoy larger groups of people) is sooner take a picnic and go for a long hack :)

Reactions: An_Riz
I've been out with both foxhounds and bloodhounds. Foxhounds in this country now follow a pre-laid scent (that's the theory anyway) and bloodhounds follow the clean boot, ie a human on foot. Bloodhounds have never been used to hunt foxes, they've always been used to hunt humans (criminals in the past) so they're not likely to break away and start following a fox's scent.

I've enjoyed both but I find the Bloodhounds more exciting. There seems to be less hanging around and more galloping, plus the routes always involve optional jumping so I can do the little ones if there are any. Also, with the foxhounds there were sabateurs out, so wherever we tried to go we kept having to avoid people trying to turn us back.

I like the idea of a jaunt through the beautiful countryside popping logs, but sadly we don't have anything like that round here. I can box out to bridlepaths in the beautiful countryside and go for long rides, but it's not the same as being able to cross country freely and find your way round obstacles, and it's certainly not as exciting for my horse as galloping in a big herd lol.

As for killing foxes - well I'm not entirely comfortable with that. But on the other hand I am worried about their numbers getting out of control, and in particular for the safety of baby hares. Random I know, but I used to see lots of hares and not many foxes and now it's the other way round. Might not be related at all, but I still worry.

People have very deep and divisive feelings on this, so it seems odd to post this question as if it were not controversial.
If you want to read about foxhunting in England, I very much recommend The Fox in the Cupboard by Jane Shilling. Like me she learned to ride as an adult and this book which I like very much is the story of her introduction to first to horses and then, after buying a horse, to fox hunting.

Although I didnt start to ride till old age, I have all my life been a historian. Fox hunting appears to have begun in England fairly recently, late 18th century, and was encouraged in parishes to provide capable riders for the army. I regard it as part of our culture and in my case my family history. My grandfather hunted both in England and Ireland and was for a time master of Foxhounds. I have his horn and other bits and pieces which my son in law will not have in his house.

It may well be more cruel to control foxes this way but hunting is none the less part of our local history and culture. Victorian literature show it was also an extremely dangerous sport. People were killed by falls out hunting. But because of its place in our history and culture I am opposed to the legal ban. If people chose to abandon hunting foxes with hounds, the tradition might well have dwindled and died.

So what I am arguing here is not just about hunting. It is about the lack of respect by the authorities for British culture and way of life.

I particularly resent the restrictions imposed on human recreation by the animal rights activists. To protect nesting birds, children can no longer sail toy boats on the ponds where our children sailed boats. Riders are no longer allowed to ride on the tracks or meadows where I learned much of my riding. Simple recreational pleasures have been replaced by competitive sports and our open spaces and Royal Parks are increasing urbanised for use by speed cyclists and runners.

That's my rant for today. and sorry - I have now corrected the title of the book.

Last edited:
Not my thing either, firstly because it’s barbaric, secondly because I would poo my breeches!
Those who say it’s tradition and part of our culture, well so was hanging and slavery.......
I’ve no beef at anyone who does go hunting and have a few friends who do it but it’s just not for me.

From an early age I hunted right up into my late teens. It was just what we did both here where I come from in Ireland, and England where I was reared it was just a part of the lifestyle among those involved in horses. I even underwent the barbaric blooding as a very young child and proudly spent the rest of the day with the drying blood of the slaughtered animal clinging to my cheeks until the sun went down. I remember almost every detail of that day and I am not sure if I remember it with nostalgia for that time when I was young and naive enough to never question such things - or with horror because I now question such things on so many levels. I wonder do they still blood novices?

I would never, ever set foot or hoof on a hunting field again, I saw many kills and very few were humane in any sense of the word - if you believe each fox is dispatched very quickly by the intervention of the man in the red coat that very rarely happens - IME 99 percent of the foxes are torn to shreds by the hounds.

However, I would not stop or interfere with anyone who does choose to hunt - how can I with my track record? But I hate it, I hate the lies that claim it controls the fox population - no it does not it is far too random to be in any way effective - an organised hunt with guns on foot is far more likely to do that and is much more likely to be a clean kill as most regular hunters are pretty accurate marksmen anyway. And just another point that bothers me - very often hunt horses are considered very disposable and their welfare and longevity is not high on the agenda - they are easily dispatched and replaced, although top end hunters can be worth a lot of money. Dolly hunted most of her life until I bought her as a 10 year old - my vet was surprised she was still alive let alone sound at that age for a hunter - says it all really doesn't it? I could go on all day about hunting - but won't bore you any longer! :rolleyes::p

Very interesting Cortrasna. And about the danger to horses. My grandfather killed a favourite horse on a hunt race in Ireland. Tho he promptly bought another.

May be Cortrasna as someone who actually hunted in Ireland has made me change my mind.

Done it. Saw a few foxes killed. I have no feelings one way or the other. I enjoy the hunt, the galloping and jumping. Having picked up the remains of a Fox visit after lambing or once they have been in the poultry house I have to say seeing one being torn apart doesn’t really emote a response from me. The same as when I see the farm cat killing mice and the terriers killing rats. Vermin are vermin after all.

I won’t stop anyone private opinion as we are all entitled to it. I haven’t been try hunting since the ban but a drag hunt is still a good day out :)

Reactions: An_Riz
I haven’t been try hunting since the ban but a drag hunt is still a good day out :)

I have never been on a drag hunt but from what family members have told me who still do...it would quite possibly kill me lol! I am told it is fast and furious from start to finish once the scent is picked up, regardless of the terrain and little opportunity to find less frightening easier routes - nope I will give that a miss so! :D

Reactions: MrC
@mystiquemalaika Yes you are correct it wasn't a proper hunt, which may be the reason for the lack of fast paced action I was expecting. Thanks for making that point! Official meet is next month in my area.
In relation to people claiming it to be a form of controlling the fox population and/or protecting livestock, I must say that relentlessly chasing a fox all day with 50+ hounds and eventually ripping it apart does not convince me that the true intention is to keep fox numbers down or save a few sheep. I am not overly sensitive to the idea; if I think about it a lot it will probably make me a bit disappointed that it goes on but I won't be starting any protests any time soon. I agree that if you want to control fox population you would be better off, as @Cortrasna says, having an organised hunt on foot.
I am more interested in drag hunts which have all the fun and excitement of riding AND let's really not forget the smart outfits (of both horse and rider!).

I understand the idea of it being a tradition, but I notice that a lot of traditions that involve killing animals for no other reason than for sport, the people involved always have a long list of justifications and excuses. Such as 'population control', 'protection of livestock' as mentioned before.

I realise I am beginning to sound judgemental but in reality my view is that if you want to hunt then go for it! Absolutely nobody can tell you otherwise, but don't say it's for the good of something-or-other, because hunting is never and has never been about that. If it were for the good of the animal species at large there are a myriad of ways to protect/control them that doesn't involve... killing them. It's the excuses that bother me somewhat. It is weird to say but I think it's alright for people to enjoy the act of hunting animals, there must be some satisfaction there, a feeling of power that accompanies the whole thing. Especially while on horseback.

That's my view. Although a tad scrambled!

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com