What are you proud of?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have had some amazing dressage results recently including my first win! I am so proud that I have managed to improve my riding and train my horse. For about 2 years we came last in every comp we entered and now we have turned that around completely. It is very satisfying.

What are you all proud of?

Glad you got what you wanted from your horse and your riding MaryP.

But an interesting question. What would other people be proud of?
Suppose you are asked by a new RI to ride something that shows how well you can ride. On the flat and on a horse that you have not ridden before. What would you choose? Would you suggest a dressage test?

Well done @Mary Poppins and the gorgeous Ben!

What am I proud of? Hmm.. I think I am proud that I have stuck with an unsuitable pony and reached an outcome that is happy for both of us, not just passed him on to be someone else's problem. Mind you I have a bad habit of rescuing, creatures and people, so perhaps I shouldn't be proud of it!

Glad you got what you wanted from your horse and your riding MaryP.

But an interesting question. What would other people be proud of?
Suppose you are asked by a new RI to ride something that shows how well you can ride
. On the flat and on a horse that you have not ridden before. What would you choose? Would you suggest a dressage test?

Well I guess this situation happens in the BHS instructor exams. I know someone who had to display they could ride to advanced medium level, but not sure if they did an actual test to show this. Perhaps they showed off some individual test movements?

Personally for me, my satisfaction comes from the relationship I have with my horse and the improvements we have made together. It's not about showing off how well I can ride, it's about progressing together as a partnership. I am the only one who rides him and it is extra satisfying knowing that I have done all the work myself.

Well done @Mary Poppins and the gorgeous Ben!

What am I proud of? Hmm.. I think I am proud that I have stuck with an unsuitable pony and reached an outcome that is happy for both of us, not just passed him on to be someone else's problem. Mind you I have a bad habit of rescuing, creatures and people, so perhaps I shouldn't be proud of it!

Thank you.

You should be very proud of what you have achieved with Ziggy. He is one lucky pony to end up with you. x

Reactions: domane
Deffo something to be proud of, MP.

I'm very proud of how well Albi is doing with Jill. I'm proud of how well Boo turned out, how well I have managed Jack with PPID - through the constraints of livery yard rules. And as for Gracie....well, the list would be as long as your arm!!!

Love reading every ones achievements, this is a lovely post @Mary Poppins :) I am proud of being able to hack my boy out on his own, even though he is nappy and headstrong we have managed it , actually more than managed it as he is brilliant with all traffic :D I am also proud of the fact that I have been able to ride him bitless or just in a snaffle as the last owners said no way would they have even attempted bitless as they had him in a pelham. Oh and I am so proud of how well I have managed my wee 34 year old cushings pony, which is just as well as I now have to manage Marley who has also recently been diagnosed with cushings .

But the title of this thread is What are you proud of.
I was asked to ride something. Regardless of how much I love my favourites. My mind was a blank.
I didnt know they asked this sometimes in BHS exams. And I dont know what the official levels would be.

You should be very proud @Mary Poppins, you have worked exceptionally hard and are now reaping the benefits.

I am very proud of Hank :p he can be a little pain in the ass but he is a super little pony, I can plop kids on him or harness him after months off and he is just a star, and he comes out for miles alongside Jess and is such a character. Given when he was rescued he was an exceptionally aggressive, uncut, unhandled, feral beast who would rear and attack at the drop of a hat. Apparently he was much better in the weeks after he was cut but still inclined to be like that, the circumstances around me getting him meant I took him without asking anything about him and treated him as a I would any other and from day 1 he has never been aggressive with me or drastically objected to the things I have asked him to do.

Jess makes me proud when things fall apart around us and she really steps up to the plate, she is so reliable in testing situations when you really need them to come through for you, she will. That is probably a result of me doing lots of stupid things with her over the years :oops::p I constantly push the boundaries of what we can do together and she always has more to give :D

I am also very proud that Jess is currently sound, and that I am able to trim both of their feet myself, that's a huge achievement for me :D

I think you do deserve to be very proud, in particular because you haven't achieved what you have on a 'made' horse - getting both Ben and yourself to that level is a real achievement in my books. I suspect I probably couldn't have got that far these days even on a made horse myself.

Not sure I have too much that I am particularly proud of - although I guess getting Dolly from an ex hunter who had never had to ride anywhere without other horses and freak out when asked to do so into a relatively easy single happy hacker is a slight achievement. I have to say I don't really think of what I do as achievements these days - just to get on and get out and back in one piece is just about the summit of my ambitions.:D

Kia’s health and happiness at his age and how he has pretty much done everything possible activities wise, has given me everything and is still up for hacking and still my cheeky boy.

I’m proud to be his mum and have people think he looks great for his age :)

Hmm interesting question, what am I proud of, well we don't compete so fail there, but I'm super proud that I've finally got my riding gremlins asses kicked and am now hacking out 5 days a week up hill and down dale mostly just Belle and myself.
I'm also super proud of my special mud monster, her health and her total trust in me.

I'm proud I have stuck with Sox through thick and thin. Despite all the set backs and issues we have had along the way.
Also very proud that after a good year of him been unsound and vet suggesting all manner of things including calling it a day.
That Sox is actually sound and it's settled were he is. I am proud of my determination to keep fighting for him and to keep going.

Well done on the win @Mary Poppins sounds like hard work is paying off.

Not sure I've got anything to be proud of at the moment I haven't competed since I sold my connie and haven't done much other than get used to the new horse tbh.

Reactions: MrA
Firstly well done @Mary Poppins :)

I had to think on this one. I looked at other people's moments for inspiration. But by borrowing someone else's it felt like cheating.

Out hacking today I discovered one of my own. Teaching her walk to canter. Nothing amazing to some but it meant I could get four strides on a patch of grass I spotted and carry on walking after:D

newrider.com