What a difference, sun, warmth and a bit of green makes

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
The blossom on the trees is arriving, my Magnolia tree is starting to flower, the fritillaries (snakes head) are growing fast.. and the fields are starting to look green.
Shadow has now been happily back out with his friends for a week, and despite his box rest, loves me no less. He's had a roll everyday, as soon as he goes out, its a good roll from one side over to the other, a good scratch and up, shake and off to eat.
I've restricted to me turning out this week (apart from today) and been up watching him grazing with his flavour of the month (the mare loves him it seems), Sam his close pal, up until Shadow was box rested, stuck to him like glue, now it seems, he's second best :giggle:
Shadow never fails to come to me (for the moment at least) with a look of "it's great to be out" on his face.
This weekend the ground work and bring back his fitness begins, I'd decided to let him just be a horse this week, my sit on him last Sunday was just to get a feel of where he was up to in himself. It did feel good though :biggrin:

I am so really appreciating the better weather at last.

The winter has left me feeling exhausted this year. I have a few major jobs to catch up on so I think mine are just going to have to be horses until next week. I started off well the other day but the last three days I seem to have collapsed in a heap.

I am glad Shadow is ok, what a relief for you.

Good to hear Shadow is out and about - bet he is so pleased. It is horrid when they have to stay in. Our pair are most happy today, they're in their favourite field!!
No swallows here yet, but spring is springing. The daffs have made an appearance despite being buried under all that snow two weeks back! Mr Woodie Woodpecker is back feeding like mad - he loves our bird feeder!

Great to hear he's out and about!

It makes a huge difference when the sun is out and it's a few degrees warmer!

Our swallows are all bickering over who wants which nest, the lapwings are out over the farmers fields and the extra hours of daylight make it feel like someone has switched the lights on!!

Not such a nice day today, trying to rain and a bit colder. Shadow's new sharer came up yesterday, she's a friend of another livery, and ridden all her life. She lost her horse a few years ago, but has kept up with her riding.
I was a bit anxious, mainly due to this being shadow's first workout in 3 weeks. We went up to the school, I got on first, put him through his paces, and to get a feel of how he was in himself.
No hesitations towards work, walk, trot and canter flowed beautifully from him. I watched for any signs of unhappiness or discomfort from him, but none there, so it was time for her to get on. We were up there for twenty mins in total, I let her spend a few mins alone with him.
She rides well, and he didn't seem too much hard work for her (he knows when he can get away with being lazy, he certainly wasn't with her).
Later on, I walked out with another livery, just round the block to see how he was up/down slopes and tarmac, he was fine, no tripping, clumsiness or footiness on the stony lane from the yard.
Have explained to sharer, to restrict trotting and cantering to school only for a couple of weeks, and to hack out in walk. Hopefully we should be back where we were in a couple of months.

Great he is out again....mine were in as fields closed for winter until mid feb then again after more rain til april then fertilised so again until this weekend so been using school and pens!

I am so glad mine are out too even if coming in a tad dirty....they are happy being horses again :bounce:

newrider.com