What a day - thought she was going to die

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
OMG, what a day I've had! Started as very distressing but ending on a high note.

Got to the yard ready for our lesson, went to get Roxy from the field & noticed she was having a lie down. As I got closer she didn't get up so I sat next to her & noticed her breathing was a bit laboured - thought it could have been the muzzle so took that off & put her head collar on. No change.

Hmm, unusual. Tried to ask her to stand up. Still nothing. Could feel the panic rising inside me.

She then decided to properly sprawl herself out. Breathing still abnormal (or so I thought!) and eyes almost closed. Had I EVER felt so helpless in my life? Never. So I stayed next to her, stroking her, telling her I loved her & how much I wanted her to be okay. I tried to call RI (who was over by the stables) to ask her to come & help but her phone was at home :(

By this point I'd started to blub. Quite badly! So thought what the heck & phoned the vet - who were very understanding the sympathetic inbetween my blubbering. Roxy's nostrils & mouth had started twitching & her eyes darting around under the nearly closed eyelids.

Eventually RI came looking for me wondering what was wrong, at which point Roxy kind of came to a bit although she was still a bit dopey. RI was a bit more firm with her than I was & got her on her feet.

And suddenly.... she was right as rain. Nothing wrong with her! :eek: RI gave her a once over, breathing & all other usual obs normal.

Transpired she was probably just asleep... :eek: :eek: :eek: Oops.

But RI said always better to be cautious (or bordering hysterical as I was) than do nothing. And she said it was actually quite sweet that Roxy was comfortable enough to zonk out completely while I was there to watch over her; just shows how much she trusts me & what a strong bond we've developed :)

Anyway, so vet (embarrassingly) stood down & all okay. We continued our lesson a bit later as planned... and by the end I'd gotten back on Roxy for the first time in 7 months :D

I feel mentally drained by the entire episode!!!

Glass of wine all round I think :)

:eek: Your poor, poor thing - how frightening - the fact it was nothing is actually immaterial - in that period of time to you it was a major fright:(

They can scare you though - Solomon has done this on a regular basis over the years.

When I lived in Norfolk, the lady whos cottage was opposite his field was called on twice by passers by, told her there was a dead horse in the field and did she know who it belonged to:eek:

One guy had actually got of his bike and climbed over the gate and prodded him with his foot!!:D no response at all so assumed must be dead.

But now he is getting on for twenty and not the fittest chap I do often have to stop myself flying across the field like some wild woman to check for his pulse - so far it has always just been Solly being Solly if you know what I mean!:)

Poor you! What a terrifying and heart wrenching start to your day, although I can't help but feel this is one of those stories that you really will laugh about years down the line. There are some horses on my yard that like on their sides like that in the fields and it always freaks me out a little.

So glad all was well and wonderful news about getting back on her!

That sounds terrifying!! I can't imagine how you felt - it is just awful when they scare you like that!

I have had the same thing happen to me! I thought that my horse was really ill and went running back to the yard to get a crew full of people to help, and when I got back to the field my horse was standing up grazing! It was embarrassing.

I have had a horrid day and was reading you thread terrifield and close to tears for you. Then I read the line

just asleep

I quite honestly laughed out loud.

Poor you but very funny

I had the same a number of years ago - couldn't wake my horse and thought she was fitting, eyes rolling etc. In reality she was having a good dream! :eek:

I have to admit... reading your story of panic :eek: had me on the edge of my seat thinking, oh I hope she's ok... then.........OOOOPPPPPSSSSS!!!! She's just sleeping..........:eek::rolleyes::D
Horses:rolleyes: they just like to keep us on the verge of nervous breakdown:D

Glad she's ok, she might not scare as much next time;)

I'm glad you guys were as worried as I was right up until the reality moment - I can tell you I was sooooo upset, I can't remember the last time I cried that much, I just felt so sad! I honestly thought I was losing her, it was awful!!

And then when it gradually started sinking in (while on the phone to the vet as RI stood her up) that she was actually probably asleep I did feel like a grade A plonker!

Now, I find it rather amusing. I admit I do over react to her having 'symptoms' every now & again. Had to rather sheepishly phone the vet back to explain that she was in actual fact.... 'improving'!!! And no need to visit; will call back if necessary :eek:

a few weeks ago, went up in the morning and he was lying with legs in the air, neck and head flat, eyes closed, thought he was gone. so still, thought he had had a heart attack. then an eye opened and a faint bray, and yes, he was just stuck, so pulled him round by the back legs until he could get up - he is 14'2 so bit of a haul then he was up and wanting his breakfast.

gave me the fright of my life, i really thought he had collapsed and was gone. he was fine, i was a wreck all day.

Have also done the heart in mouth thing when in reality they were just snoring but, in all the fuss we've failed to notice something really important.

by the end I'd gotten back on Roxy for the first time in 7 months
Wow! Check you out! Well done :D That must (almost) make it all worthwhile :D

So glad this had a happy ending (similar thing happened to me - I still blush when I think about it) and well done for getting on Roxy after 7 months!

newrider.com