What 3 Words app - trying it out

I've got it in my phone and on my tablet. Think it's a good idea. Emergency services are starting to use it I believe.
I havent told my mother about the app and she couldn't work my tablet so in an emergency I'd have to refer to places she knows from a riding point if view. She doesn't have a smartphone either. I don't tell them where I'm going on my hacks as I decide when I get to turn off points. But my usual 4 mile route area she knows well enough if I say names of bits of the common she could direct someone to me. She doesn't know my long route hack though so I would be stuffed. Its a very simple app and I did think about explaining it. So i could give her the words and she could look up in my tablet.
I can see it being good if you break down on a motorway journey as the emergency services could pin point you easily between junctions.

We used it on holiday on Kefalonia when our rental car broke down - it worked a treat, especially given our very, very limited Greek and having no actual idea how to describe where we were, brilliant app.

Reactions: Jessey
Yeah, I've got it on my phone too. We live in a place that takes an age to describe and give directions for, so I'm really hoping WTW catches on with courier companies.... because it will make things a lot easier and quicker for us!

It almost tempts me to get a smart phone. Almost. But I just don't want a mobile that has internet on my phone , I like to have time away from people who I haven't given my number to.

We used it on holiday on Kefalonia when our rental car broke down - it worked a treat, especially given our very, very limited Greek and having no actual idea how to describe where we were, brilliant app.

That's reassuring to know.

I downloaded another GPS app after being on a hack where someone fell off and hurt herself. I knew where I was and could easily explain to anyone on the yard but I would have been stuffed if I'd had to ring the emergency services as we were outside the village in a field away from the road, and I had no idea what the road was called anyway, so having an app that gave me my GPS co-ordinates sounded a really good idea.

However when I tried to use that particular app - on a PR when someone had fallen off in the middle of nowhere and was semi-conscious - the emergency services said the GPS co-ordinates I could give them were no good and they needed a postcode! We were on a huge private estate (Osberton) and all we had were the directions of how to get to the PR, which the emergency services also declined. In the end the lady started to come round and was driven to hospital instead.

So, although I have WTW on my phone I was very sceptical as to whether it would be of any use in an emergency. Were the words used in Kefalonia Greek or English? (Wouldn't fancy having to pronounce some of those very long Greek words!)

• Wow
It almost tempts me to get a smart phone. Almost. But I just don't want a mobile that has internet on my phone , I like to have time away from people who I haven't given my number to.
You dont need internet when your out. I dont have internet either. If i do want a quick browse whilst at work i put data on. Anyway im going off what i was going to say.
It works on gps so as long as you have that on it shows your location in the app and the 3words.

My friend a couple of fields down had someone coming to buy something of them, there isn't really an address for their field so the person used WTW to pick the item up :)

Reactions: Ruskii
Interestingly I took Brodie to a local yard today and they have their 3 words laminated and stuck near the school. Feel like that's a brilliant idea as a quick way of getting help in an emergency, especially if like me you are just visiting the yard and may not know the exact address.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com