What 3 things make your life a little easier?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I was thinking this morning how the installation of my haybar has shaved off 10 mins in my morning routine since I don't have to faff about with haynets any more.

So, what 3 things make your horsey life a little easier?

For me its:

1) My haybar - I always make sure it is filled to overflowing so I know he wont go without if I end up being late up in the morning

2) The furminator - with the amount of winter fluff he grows I will be praising it's existance shortly!

3) My yard - we always help each other out, make sure all the horses are ok and lend a hand when needed. Without their help and support horse ownership would not be nearly as pleasurable as it should be.

The arrival of the spring grass (when it does) so I won't have to traipse to the field with hay twice a day any more.

My YO being a sweetie.

My new (ish) wheelbarrow - trying to muck out just using skips was slow and murdered my hands.

Talk to me about this furminator! I think I am going to need one for my bear-horse....

Good thread!

Hmm.

1. My wellie boots - they slip on and off do easily. Compared to my Ariats they are just so easy and I can just rinse and go! Used to mess about for ages changing boots before riding, going inside etc.

2. My seive!! Bought one specially for the girls water buckets. I tell you - last thing at night there's nowt worse than having to change their water just because some hay or straw has either blown into it or been slopped in by them! I change their water daily of course but it seems a shame to have to start from scratch just for a few bits. Now I use my seive - voila!

3. My denim breeches - can ride and then dash off into town without having to get changed. Mr T sometimes goes at a great rate of knots and doesn't leave us much time for primping before jumping into the truck and driving off on a mission! lol

I have water troughs with taps connected to them No carrying water.

Good thread!

Hmm.

1. My wellie boots - they slip on and off do easily. Compared to my Ariats they are just so easy and I can just rinse and go! Used to mess about for ages changing boots before riding, going inside etc.

2. My seive!! Bought one specially for the girls water buckets. I tell you - last thing at night there's nowt worse than having to change their water just because some hay or straw has either blown into it or been slopped in by them! I change their water daily of course but it seems a shame to have to start from scratch just for a few bits. Now I use my seive - voila!

3. My denim breeches - can ride and then dash off into town without having to get changed. Mr T sometimes goes at a great rate of knots and doesn't leave us much time for primping before jumping into the truck and driving off on a mission! lol

What wellies do you have Trewsers? I need some boots that are waterproof and practical for wading through mud, yet don't get full of hay. I've got whole bales inside my country boots most of the time!

A car would make my life easier!!!!!

1- my long hose pipe. No more carrying water

2- summer fields - no more buying hay!

3- the bench outside the field makes getting on easier

I was thinking this morning how the installation of my haybar has shaved off 10 mins in my morning routine since I don't have to faff about with haynets any more.

So, what 3 things make your horsey life a little easier?

For me its:

1) My haybar - I always make sure it is filled to overflowing so I know he wont go without if I end up being late up in the morning

2) The furminator - with the amount of winter fluff he grows I will be praising it's existance shortly!

3) My yard - we always help each other out, make sure all the horses are ok and lend a hand when needed. Without their help and support horse ownership would not be nearly as pleasurable as it should be.

What wellies do you have Trewsers? I need some boots that are waterproof and practical for wading through mud, yet don't get full of hay. I've got whole bales inside my country boots most of the time!

Caldene Westfield - they are fab as they can be tightened around the top. I love them - bought mine from our local tack shop £59 - they are warm too with neoprene in the foot part.

The staff-the hay arrives and it goes out, so does the straw.
The mains water and insulated outside tap that doesn't freeze. The auto drinkers freeze but you have a tap.
The school, its a useful space if its too foggy/wet to be on the roads, when she was younger it was great for letting off steam as loose schooling is allowed.

My car - I know that's a bog standard response but I had ponies as a kid and had to cycle there and back every day, with a huge hill to climb and a saddle that weighed a tonne. I still appreciate how easy it is to pop my tack in the car and be at the field one minute later.
My musto jacket - it's seen better days but keeps the wind out so well, can be chucked on over anything I don't want to get dirty if I've come straight from work and is big enough I can wear layers under in winter.
Third thing is difficult to decide on as I'm now so used to things as they are, that I can't think what the alternative might have been! I guess domesedan. Without it I'd have a ball ache coordinating farrier and vet to have flip sedated every time he needs shod.

1- my car (couldn't do my horse without it unless I planned on only having about 4 hours sleep!)

2 - the people at my yard! The farmer is a lovely, friendly guy who tries to help as much as he can and everyone chips in and helps each other out

3 - I'm not sure! I suppose the facilities at my yard make things really easy for me. I've never been without running water and electric so I don't know what I'd do without!

car!
the fact we have roundbales in the big field this year (no more sitting in the car waiting for ponies to eat hay!)!
the fact I now have a cupboard there for 'bits and bobs' - no more lugging grooming kit/supps/etc from the car :D

Making ourselves a hay steamer instead of having to soak haynets. Saves time, mess, and cold hands.
Automatic drinkers in the stables.
Rivers. All my boss's fields have a natural water supply which means no trough-filling for the herds who live out. Mahooooosive time and energy saver.
Metal currycomb. It is the ONLY brush I need to groom my pony in wintertime :giggle:

ETA oops, that's 4!

My groom Carol who poo picks the field for me, feeds all the horses when I can't get there, fusses and grooms Ziggy and even long reins him for me so that he doesn't turn into a complete couch potato.

Renting a field over the road from my house so I don't have to travel to a yard at all.

My pony Ziggy, who must be the easiest pony in the world ever to do anything to.

Hmmmm:

1. Thankful for just having 3 horses!!! I can currently carry 3 nets and 3 buckets on my wheelbarrow, if I had more than 3 I'd have to do 2 trips through the mud!!

2. Having 20 of the same Haynets so I can fill a few days worth of nets on one day and store them in a stable, makes days when I have the baby with me a million times quicker!

3. Having a sharer! Def makes things easier on a Saturday cos she fills the nets and poo picks

Rivers. All my boss's fields have a natural water supply which means no trough-filling for the herds who live out. Mahooooosive time and energy saver.

I suppose that is the one good thing about the rain in Scotland:giggle::tongue:

I would like to amend mine! Instead of denim breeches: the old metal gate I acquired:giggle: OH has just dragged it around the arena tied to the back of the truck - it's made a fab job of harrowing it:angel: Who needs the quad?! (Mine is dead / broken so can't use my pallet for the school anymore:frown:). Very pleased - lovely surface again!:happy:

newrider.com