What’s your horse like in unexpected meet ups hacking?

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Obviously I’ve passed riders out hacking many times and Jake gets a bit excited at the sight of them approaching then if he was rude enough he’d very much like to turn and follow them, luckily he’s not!
This week however we could see a lady on a horse way ahead going away from us. He was desperate to catch up but I said no incase I caused the rider issues. However said horse began napping and we kind of had to catch up!
We then rode half the way home together before I forked off to come home.
Jake was hilarious! He tucked his little head in and went all springy and show offy such immense excitement at walking (well prancing) alongside a new friend!
How do yours react? Wonder what they are thinking

Harvey always tries to catch up (although he will then quite happily overtake). If the horse is coming the other ways he ways to follow, unless we are nearly home in which case the lure of a post ride treat is greater!

It also amuses me that he almost always stops dead when he first spots another horse (or tries too)

Reactions: Toz
Belle will stop dead if she's sees another horse coming towards us, she's nosey, as soon as I tell to get on she will go and to be fair she will walk past no problem and carry on the way we are going.
If something comes up behind us, she tends to fidget a bit until it's past (most horses walk faster than her) and she will carry on, she rarely tries to follow other horses unless it's one of her field mates, but most of them are ridden much later in the day than we go out, so it doesn't happen often, again in fairness to her if she tries to follow and I tell her 'oi hang on mrs' she usually listens and does nothing more than call after them.

Little Un is fine, was even fine when he was on strict walk work and a group of riders very rudely came hammering past us at a fast trot on the narrow lane back to the yard - and yes they knew he was on walk work & why because one of them was my then yard owner!

The only slight problem I have is that if we catch up with someone he has such a fast walk that many don't keep up & he gets rather miffed about constantly being asked to steady or halt to wait.

• Haha
Reactions: Toz and Bodshi
Raf is fine usually, but then we cut our teeth on endurance PR's where you have horses in front, behind, overtaking, being overtaken etc. I remember when he was young once doing what Jake did @Toz - we passed two horses going in the opposite direction and suddenly I found myself sitting on a horse doing an advanced dressage move, that kind of almost on the spot trot on springs thing which I don't know the name of. It was very impressive (well I was impressed anyway) but I've no idea why he did it, particularly as it was two friends on horses from the same yard :rolleyes:

Last New Year we had to leave an organised group ride and go home because his legs were sore. He wasn't too happy about leaving everyone but he was ok, just whinnied a lot and did a really odd pitter-patter walk, because he was convinced the rest of the herd might be round each next corner.

Raf is fine usually, but then we cut our teeth on endurance PR's where you have horses in front, behind, overtaking, being overtaken etc. I remember when he was young once doing what Jake did @Toz - we passed two horses going in the opposite direction and suddenly I found myself sitting on a horse doing an advanced dressage move, that kind of almost on the spot trot on springs thing which I don't know the name of. It was very impressive (well I was impressed anyway) but I've no idea why he did it, particularly as it was two friends on horses from the same yard :rolleyes:

Last New Year we had to leave an organised group ride and go home because his legs were sore. He wasn't too happy about leaving everyone but he was ok, just whinnied a lot and did a really odd pitter-patter walk, because he was convinced the rest of the herd might be round each next corner.
Yes!! That’s exactly it! Advanced “jakey style” dressage! the lady I was with kept looking admiringly and commenting how lovely he was yup, should have seen him 5 minutes ago ambling along a bit bored!

Ramsey would do the the dressage thing - very pretty. Hogans just a complete a***e. Nothing pretty about it, but I'm sure it's fun to watch :rolleyes:

Bo was a complete nightmare, it often meant head between the knees broncing rodeo style :oops: it was his default move when he was excited, so when I got Jess I was determined not to let her establish those types of behaviors, so we did all the 'difficult' things a lot, she now doesn't give a hoot unless the horse is cantering at her. We regularly meet up with others out and then ride with them and peel off home.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
If Buddy sees horses ahead of him he is determined to catch up, so I usually have to turn and go back until they are out of sight and then continue. If he rides out with another horse, he is generally fine, though he can sulk. He also detests being crowded by another horse objects to them being in his space. At the show at the weekend they had a narrow walkway and he did not like walking in it with another horse coming the other way. He doesn't mind them walking behind him but he really dislikes it if they get up close and will make faces and chase them off. If he goes on a hunt or riding club ride, to begin with he is appalling, prancing and pratting, once he gets a canter he settles and then he doesn't mind of others go past him or he joins a group. He definitely prefers to be in front.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
Bo was a complete nightmare, it often meant head between the knees broncing rodeo style :oops: it was his default move when he was excited, so when I got Jess I was determined not to let her establish those types of behaviors, so we did all the 'difficult' things a lot, she now doesn't give a hoot unless the horse is cantering at her. We regularly meet up with others out and then ride with them and peel off home.
Rather you than me there
That’s my aim for Oz, just for everything to be fine and normal! Not going too well so far but we will get there ()

Dolly hates it when horses disappear round corners and does quite good impression of high school training. Arab mare used to chase everyone down very embarrassing.

On this subject - decided not to ride yesterday as so hot. Took dog and grandchildren out for a walk where I normally ride. Fate, the stars, something was watching out for me. Literally dozens of horses on a sponsored ride, thundering through the inclosure, and up Hogan's bogey hill. I doubt I'd have made it home in one piece, if at all! :eek:

On this subject - decided not to ride yesterday as so hot. Took dog and grandchildren out for a walk where I normally ride. Fate, the stars, something was watching out for me. Literally dozens of horses on a sponsored ride, thundering through the inclosure, and up Hogan's bogey hill. I doubt I'd have made it home in one piece, if at all! :eek:

That was lucky!

I feel silly for asking this question, but I always wonder each time I read it - what's an inclosure? I don't think we have them round us.

They're "sections" of the New Forest that are sort of closed off but still open, except to the commoners ponies, cows, donkeys etc. There are some that are no longer fenced (like the one I ride in) but those that are fenced, are accessible by gate. I think it all changed quite a bit when the forest was given "park" status. I have a vague memory of our bit being semi fenced, but that's long gone. Not sure why it's spelt like that either! They've all got names too - Dibden inclosure, Marchwood, Wilverly, Kings Hat etc

Very lucky! That could be a disaster on the very quietest horse.
I’d never heard of an inclosure either!

Reactions: Huggy
Thanks @Huggy. It sounds really historical. Still can't quite picture it in my head but I've never been to the New Forest, always wanted to. Off to have a look at Google maps ...

Reactions: Huggy
I suppose it is quite historic, but the roaming animals, lovely though they are, come with problems. Over the years, we've had trouble with stallions (My sweet quiet little Ramsey took one on once -another story!), there's a massive herd of white cows (With big horns!) that seem to be everywhere - a dog walker was gored quite badly a couple of months ago, and the donkeys - well, the donkeys own the roads, and they ain't moving for no one. Long queue of cars last week - one solitary donkey, dozing in the road - and why not!? He was here first.

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com