What’s your favourite?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What hair (horse) conditioner products do you like and why?

Niko has a fine baby mane that was mostly rubbed out when he came to me, and a huge thick tail that hangs in ringlets so I think I’m going to need more than the basic mane and tail spray to get him on the right track. I’d prefer a natural product, in spray form, if there is such a thing. Or I may just resort to coconut oil with occasional use of cowboy magic ?

There's a product I keep seeing recommended for mane growth but the name totally escapes me right now.

I just use watered down human conditioner :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
I use Canter untangler spray for manes and tails, Buddy and Suze have very thick tails. It lasts about a week. I tried a Naff one and it had to be applied daily.

Last edited:
I've only really ever liked Canter mane and tail. I have a Lincoln one but it smells a bit like washing up liquid and I'm not so keen on it and it's sticky compared to the Canter one.

Wall dog detangler spray is all I use now days, amazing stuff, half the price of ‘horse’ detangler, lasts for ages, helps to repel mud in manes and tails. I quite like the smell too but imagine some folk won’t as it’s quite strong perfume.
I get mine from Amazon but imagine you can get it online from other places if you do a search.

I used Mega mane and tail repair on Zigggy's fine, breakable mane, it really helped.

Charlie has so much mane and tail I just leave it alone!

I think the Wahl Dog detangler is the winner for first try, no silicone, no palm oil, its all natural and the cheapest :D will feed back when I try it for a while :) Out of interest, it's the canter M&T I've been using but want something more nourishing rather than just coating it with silicone.

Im not actually convinced by the mane and tail to be honest. Havent been for a while. I read so many reports of it supposedly repelling the dirt but ive noticed that billys long mane gets dirty and really greasy.

I finally got around to getting the whal spray, I tried the water & conditioner first but it wasn’t quite what I was after.

The whal spray seems really good though, gets all the tangles out easily but doesn’t leave the hair with that coated feeling afterwards and you can still hold your reins after using it 🤣

Reactions: Kite_Rider
'Silky' it does thick manes really well. I put it on the brush, it does a better job than on mane. Mane and tail just didn't cope with Hogan's mane at all.

I've got Canter but I've really cut back on it's use recently and I have to say that G's mane and tail get far less greasy. Obvs with the poor weather we've had lately, they're getting muddy but they definitely don't get the grease build-up, so I'm assuming it's the lack of artificial products. I would also add that Gracie's tail has been thinned out* so although it's still long and bushy, there's a lot less of it than she would naturally have so it's a lot easier to keep tangle free anyway.

* It was SO thick and heavy that she didn't have the strength to lift it high enough when she peed and pooped, so it was permanently filthy. Now it's not so bad.

newrider.com