We've been keeping Frances busy

Looks fab, except I am scared of birds! Even the very broody ducks we have which kick up at egg collecting time cause me to scream as they come at me - horrible vicious things!!!

But well done her, just not my cup of tea!!!

I have had some right ding dogs with broody hens and territorial cockerels. Got the worst bruise I have ever had from a broody goose. BUT I have a whole new respect for these guys. When her blood is up after catching the lure and she strikes at the glove when I have a big lump of meat, it's amazing how much power and strength she has. She can grip so hard it hurts a lot.

That I can believe. They seem amazingly strong creatures, and well able to fend off predators - possibly why I am not keen on most flapping creatures - even the weaker of them!!!

I love raptors, I have always been fascinated by them and remember when my Dad was looking after a buzzard for his friend, I was about 10 yrs old and felt so special being allowed to have this lovely bird on my hand, I can still well remember his massive talons too!
Our Raven was more scary though, he used to sit on your head and look down at you with his rather large beak about an inch from your eye, good job he was friendly although he did like to amuse himself when anyone went into his aviary in trainers or lace up shoes, by undoing the laces and trying to tie them back up.

Reactions: Trewsers
I love raptors, I have always been fascinated by them and remember when my Dad was looking after a buzzard for his friend, I was about 10 yrs old and felt so special being allowed to have this lovely bird on my hand, I can still well remember his massive talons too!
Our Raven was more scary though, he used to sit on your head and look down at you with his rather large beak about an inch from your eye, good job he was friendly although he did like to amuse himself when anyone went into his aviary in trainers or lace up shoes, by undoing the laces and trying to tie them back up.

Your raven sounded a character! We had a crow from being a baby and he was a real character. Used to grab my toes in summer when I wore sandals. And used to follow me about digging up my bulbs ! Used to take a sausage from OH if offered when we were having a barbie. Such a clever bird.

newrider.com