We've been keeping Frances busy

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Looks fab, except I am scared of birds! Even the very broody ducks we have which kick up at egg collecting time cause me to scream as they come at me - horrible vicious things!!!

But well done her, just not my cup of tea!!!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
I have had some right ding dogs with broody hens and territorial cockerels. Got the worst bruise I have ever had from a broody goose. BUT I have a whole new respect for these guys. When her blood is up after catching the lure and she strikes at the glove when I have a big lump of meat, it's amazing how much power and strength she has. She can grip so hard it hurts a lot.

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
That I can believe. They seem amazingly strong creatures, and well able to fend off predators - possibly why I am not keen on most flapping creatures - even the weaker of them!!!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I love raptors, I have always been fascinated by them and remember when my Dad was looking after a buzzard for his friend, I was about 10 yrs old and felt so special being allowed to have this lovely bird on my hand, I can still well remember his massive talons too!
Our Raven was more scary though, he used to sit on your head and look down at you with his rather large beak about an inch from your eye, good job he was friendly although he did like to amuse himself when anyone went into his aviary in trainers or lace up shoes, by undoing the laces and trying to tie them back up.

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I love raptors, I have always been fascinated by them and remember when my Dad was looking after a buzzard for his friend, I was about 10 yrs old and felt so special being allowed to have this lovely bird on my hand, I can still well remember his massive talons too!
Our Raven was more scary though, he used to sit on your head and look down at you with his rather large beak about an inch from your eye, good job he was friendly although he did like to amuse himself when anyone went into his aviary in trainers or lace up shoes, by undoing the laces and trying to tie them back up.

Your raven sounded a character! We had a crow from being a baby and he was a real character. Used to grab my toes in summer when I wore sandals. And used to follow me about digging up my bulbs ! Used to take a sausage from OH if offered when we were having a barbie. Such a clever bird.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Kis Vihar What's been keeping me busy this week...? Tack & Saddlery 15
Lovejoy I've Been Keeping A Secret......... General 12
P i've been keeping a bit of a secret from you all..... General 15
P I've been keeping something from you General 42
G Help I've been taken for a mug Cafe 2
Doodle92 Vet has been back Cafe 0
domane When you've been a yo-yo dieter...... Cafe 7
A What have you been feeding, how much, and would you characterize the horse as an easy keeper or a hard keeper? First Timers 10
chunky monkey Ive been jinxed Cafe 11
Ale Have I been doing winter strip grazing wrong? Horse Care 4
Doodle92 Vet has been back Cafe 6
Doodle92 Vet been Cafe 8
KellyM51 I fell off my horse and I was wondering, my left buttocks has been numb for a month I can do everything normally but sometimes hurts, stupid question Cafe 4
Doodle92 Vet has been Cafe 2
Wally123 I've been a bad lass Cafe 9
Gattino It's been a long time! Cafe 10
diplomaticandtactful Field has been invaded overnight Cafe 4
diplomaticandtactful I think this winter has been the final straw that broke the camel's back Cafe 17
L Lameness down hill *Update vets been* Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 19
*GroovyGallop* Why do sellers lie & whats the biggest lie you've ever been told when buying? Cafe 35
N It's been asked before but Cafe 13
chev Blimey, it’s been a while! Cafe 23
N What silly things have you said to your horse, that's been overheard Cafe 7
R have you ever been to close your eyes on a horse Confidence Club 20
chunky monkey Its been one of those days. Cafe 5
Ale It's been almost 2 years Cafe 4
Mary Poppins Have you ever been bitten? Cafe 28
Wally123 Hi Guys, I've been away for a while Cafe 32
N Has it been ten years Cafe 26
tikkitti Sorry Ive not been around...... Cafe 29
Prjsmk Probably Been asked a million times.... Cafe 20
Hoof_hearted How has everyone been? Cafe 11
Lissie Anyone been to Olympia? Cafe 8
WeeBarraxO Not been here in a long while Cafe 11
Ale How's your weekend been? Cafe 20
CharliesAngel Brook has been busy Cafe 4
Ale Have you been an april fool!? Cafe 10
L When you have been around horses for too long Cafe 24
Ale Anyone been to the docs for tiredness? Cafe 94
CharliesAngel Ive been quiet- *show report * pics) Cafe 3
Ale Can't believe it's been 4.5 years Cafe 3
Wally Been Busy. Cafe 2
P How's your 2016 been? Cafe 25
horseandgoatmom Paranormal/Ghost Dinner - anyone ever been to one? Cafe 18
CharliesAngel what’s been happening with us Cafe 6
OwnedbyChanter Ginger and I have been busy...Pics Competing 9
C I've not been hiding....just a little busy Cafe 3
Jane&Ziggy Hot weather, what have I been doing? Quiz Cafe 9
L Its been a long road... We have A diagnosis. Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
L What have you all been up to today? Cafe 11