Wet conditions - how are feet doing?

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I am 3, all living out on 4 acres with a 24x12 ft shelter

Its wet and muddy around the hay areas but dry mud free everywhere else.

Everyones feet are soggy and wet, generally look crap underneath and bulb area, how is everyone else doing?

I dont have the luxury of any hard standing to bring them into to dry their feet off, I could move the hay tyres to a new area but it would create a new muddy area and the current area is partially sheltered but new area would not be.

I could do with Wally replying really, Sam's bulbs are wet and thin around the band and sore I think...

Last edited:
Actually these conditions have been just what Ziggy's feet need: they have really helped all the false sole that built up while he was shod to slough off. His frogs are very manky, though.

Mattie's feet are in very good shape but he does spend at least 8 hours of every 24 standing in the shelter in the dry!

Same as Julie farrier complimented both my ponies bare feet last week. Frogs are just starting to shed on Sherman. But they both come in overnight to dry out.

But I'm not showing off. Shermans may look good with nice beefy frogs, but I'm seriously contemplating front shoes as he just doesn't cope with stones still :-(

We are different in that although Tobes and new bezzie mate are out from 6.45am to 4.30 they are in after that and get a chance to dry the feet out. Have never had to go 24/7 on wet ground, so can't really comment.

The girls are out 24/7 and have good feet - just moved them onto better field so not quite as wet - yet! they haven't grown that much - lack of good grass so nature seems to take care of it for them.

The boys are in on a night so have a chance to dry out but their feet are not as good as the girls - if they could tolerate out 24/7 I would prefer it.

My lads okay, but Im trying not to let him stand in the mud. There very soft. Don't think they've grown much. Due a visit this weekend. Hope that if he doesn't have too much to trim we can go 7 weeks again till the next visit.

newrider.com