Western and English?

midnightmare

Oct 21, 2007
Derbyshire
Hi, I was wondering what the differances are between Western Riding and English Riding?
Because my frined who has an uncle in South Africa owns a horse farm and that is where she learnt to ride but now she has lessons at her local stables and suppsoedly she is finding it hard to ride english because she learnt western?

well basically western riding is the riding cowboys do:p

Much more laid back, mostly relies on weight aids and very subtle aids to the horse. I believe the idea is to let the horse get on with its job and not to 'fiddle' with it with it while its working.
Also the tack is different, the saddles are a lot bigger, usually have a horn and have fenders, not stirrup leathers. Most established horses usually wear a curb bit.

It depends on what you mean by "english.":) Here in the states it's a catch-all term that means hunt seat, dressage, etc.

The biggest difference is the saddle. Western saddles have very deep seats with a high cantle and a big horn on the pommel. They have fenders, which are smooth wide lengths of leather, instead of strap-like stirrup leathers.

If you're used to riding hunt seat, the stirrups on a western saddle will be much longer than you're used to. You may or may not ride the horse on a contact - many western horses "neck rein" which means they turn simply by the touch of a rein on one side of their necks.

I've been told it is easier to switch from english to western than the other way around. I don't know if that's actually true.

Many people in my area think they ride western when they are simply slumped in a western saddle and not riding at all.:D So of course those people, when they no longer have a saddle to depend upon for balance, find it very difficult. True western riders have a deep balanced seat much like dressage riders, only they don't use as much contact. I've known riders to feel very lost when they suddenly had what felt like no contact on the bit.

Sometimes here western horses are trained to different aids as well.

What part is your friend having trouble with?:)

thanks for the info :)
It's not a certain part of english riding, it's just to her there are alot of differances and she fidns it hard having to control the horse so much etc, because when she goes out on her uncle's horses they just go anywhere (i'd love to do that :D )

I've been told it is easier to switch from english to western than the other way around. I don't know if that's actually true.

When I switched from english to western, I got told off continuously for "fidgeting" in the saddle and annoying my horse instead of letting him get on with what I had asked him to do. "Too much leg, too much hand, relax in the saddle, ..." :D

newrider.com