Went to the cinema yesterday

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
For the first time in years.....we don’t like going as people talking, playing with phones, crunching popcorn etc annoys both of us.
Anyway, nothing to do on a rainy afternoon, so we decided to go.
We had the full place to ourselves!
Film was ok. Something called crazy rich Asians. Very predictable but watchable.
It will probably be another 7 years or so before we go again.

I used to love the cinema but like you get irritated buy people so tend to wait for things to come out on TV now. How lucky to have the place to yourself :)

I don’t often go but went recently to see mama Mia 2. They had comfy seats and really good views, not how I remember it!

For the first time in years.....we don’t like going as people talking, playing with phones, crunching popcorn etc annoys both of us.
Add in getting up and down to go to the loo and you can include the theatre in the above.
My friend said the world has changed and I replied, yes everyone is a rude island. :D

I love going to the cinema but I never go on the weekend or to a film that has just come out. I'm thinking of getting an unlimited card because we get a discount through work but I'll mainly have to go alone so not sure

Add in getting up and down to go to the loo and you can include the theatre in the above.
My friend said the world has changed and I replied, yes everyone is a rude island. :D

Yes how true - we went to see Lion King at the Lyceum recently and the number of people that talked all the way through it, or were passing about food/drinks, taking selfies etc. The people behind us were German I think and their young child never stopped talking and whining the whole way through - probably bored stiff if they didn't understand what was being said. I'm not even sure they had their own seat as he/she didn't seem to sit down at all. It makes you wonder why people pay all that money for tickets when they're not going to put any effort into watching the performance. Luckily (having had four noisy boy children ourselves) we're quite good at tuning out distractions and it didn't really spoil our enjoyment.

The cinema on the other hand was completely different - everyone was glued to the screen, I didn't notice anyone getting up and down or eating noisily (we were eating chocolate ourselves, but quietly I think), the only time I noticed anything was when the audience collectively got out their tissues to wipe away the tears :p Mind you, the volume was so loud that I don't think you could have heard anything else if you'd tried.

I booked different seats with the theatre, thinking I could avoid the need to get up to let people out.
But these days they do not shut the bar, so people just do what they like.
It's all part of the on demand culture.

I’ve not been to the theatre for ages, but used to go regularly. It’s over £50 each for a ticket here, cheapest seats, I would be really, really annoyed to have paid so much and found it to be like a cinema visit with people eating, talking and moving around.

Reactions: newforest
I’ve not been to the theatre for ages, but used to go regularly. It’s over £50 each for a ticket here, cheapest seats, I would be really, really annoyed to have paid so much and found it to be like a cinema visit with people eating, talking and moving around.

My experience was that the cinema was more civilised than the theatre! The Lion King tickets were really expensive, over £100 each - it was a real treat for us to go - but obviously nothing special for most of the audience. There was even one rather plasticky looking woman posing for photos against the balcony - we were on one of the circles - in front of everyone, striking a variety of pouting poses for her boyfriend/husband. One of the ushers came and told them to sit down, but it was unbelievable really :eek: This was before the show started I should say.

newrider.com