Welsh section D's

stevielee

Barney is super star
Apr 3, 2005
Wigan
Can anyone give me as much info as possible on these horses. Also has anyone ever bought one from one of the herds in walse(sp)? Thanks in advance!:D

I have a welsh d, i suppose you could say shes from a heard in wales:D shes lived most of her life (shes 13) on a hill in wales being a broodmare with lots of other horses.
Shes a lovely girl, stubborn and opinionated, but very sweet, she has the most lovely smooth big welsh trot:)

they are lovely horses. Mine can be a tad opinionated :rolleyes: but I love em! Mine is a good doer with endless amounts of energy.

So are you planning on buy one :D

Yeah i'm wanting a youngster I have backed two and in the process of backing my first entirley(sp) on my own an arab x welsh.
A few people i know have got them off the hills and they have turned out very good. I am wanting something around 2 or 3 and cheap lol. I have seen loads and they are all off topclass bloodlines and about £4000 for a foal! I just want something i can work on as say a project horse.:D

i have got a sec d filly 2yo she is loving very willing and proving to be very easy to do she is the first horse i am braking in (with help) and i don-t think you will go far wrong with one. hope this helps

I had a section d that proved difficult because he was too clever for his own good but as soon as he knew that I was the boss he was like a little lamb but they are soo full of character and so much fun.

I always said I would have anymore youngsters but me and mum have just got a friesian and I am looking for a cheap 2/3year old tall section d/cob type to break and bring on myself as i find it so rewarding.

I would love a horse off the welsh mountains i think it would be great!! Very time consuming though, i can imagine!

I have a 2 and a half year old welsh section D gelding. I bought him from his breeder (am too far away from wales to even contemplate buying them wild ;) ). He is very well bred (Sire Janton Dictator) and i'd have paid 2-3 times what we did if he hadn't had an incident at his last home resulting in his lack of mane (but it's growing back, phew!).

I don't want to sound like i'm lecturing, but have you ever had any experience of welsh section D's? they can be very opinionated and stubborn. My little chap is lovely but he will throw tantrums and is handy with his front feet when he's annoyed. Not so much now because he know's the boundaries we've set out.

Also, buying a youngster is not a cheap option. Unless you are really experienced you will need help, and help can cost a lot of money. Just think things through carefully. I always get nervy when people talk about buying youngsters. It's a HUGE commitment. if you screw up their training, you've potentially caused them problems for the rest of their lives.

I find you either gel with welsh cobs or you don't. you need to understand their way of thinking and be aware that if you try to force them to do something woe betide you!! but they are a wonderful breed, very versatile. take a look at the WPCS site, there's a stud index on there aswell.

I have had quite alot of experience with youngsters and with backing at the minute and arab x welsh D, you can imagine the attitude and sharpness of her. There are expereinced people around me 24/7 and we can easily afford the cost of breaking and backing a youngster just wasn't planning on paying like £3000 for a baby. There is a big gang of us going up to the next auction including people who have previously bought from them before.
I think i would get on quite well as i can't stand dosy horses that are really slow (as in dosile) and have no character. I have done and will continue to do alot of research into the breed and will keep you updated hopefully to tell you about my new horsey:D

There are no herds on the hills in Wales - the herds that run on the hills are Welsh Mountain ponies (sec A). Ds are all bred on studs or farms. Lots are unhandled until sale - but they're not 'hill-bred' at all.

Look at different lines and decide what you want a D for. Some are much better ridden prospects than others; some make far better driven horses. Derwen lines usually do very well under saddle, and most can do a dcent dressage test and jump like a stag too. Visit as many studs as you can to see how much handling the youngstock has; look for a stud that does handle it's foals, as those that are left do tend to be much harder to work with later (not impossible; but it's much harder to judge a horse that's never been haltered than one who has some basic handling at least).

I bought a D foal from a stud as a weanling. Completely untouched until a week before I got him. I spent alot of time handling him, teaching him to back up, move his quarters etc, he is a very laid back chap when it comes to spooky things, I can put feed bags on his back etc. As long as you put the time in they will come right. He is very bolshy though, a bit too bold.
Just because a horse is a certain breed doesn't mean it will have a certain temperament. And as for prices I picked up my lad for £400, and there were plenty of other weanling colts at the same price. Gelding only costs around £100 so really it's not that costly at all.
We had his half brother up until a while ago, who was just rising 4yo and he was an excellent jumper, very scopey etc. I've never come across a Welshie that isn't a natural at jumping, I've had Bs and Ds.

Good luck.;)

Lou.x

Chev (going a little o/t here), but what about Llanarth, Parc and Nebo lines? My wee man has all 3 in his breeding. And Kentchurch (might have spelt that wrong!) aswell.

Lou, dunno where you bought yours from but i've never found them to be so cheap!! the stud i bought from has 2 foals just now, they will be sold when weaned and she's asking £1500 and £1750 respectively for them.

steevielee, as part of your research, go visit some studs. see what they do and what temperament their horses are. I went to a few when horse hunting and the stud i chose my Kez from seemed to have a very laid back, happy, easy going bunch of horses. At the second place i visited, their D's seemed a little more, shall we say, spirited!! very nice horses but certainly more buzzy.

I bought him from Hillgarth Stud in Bishop Auckland, they do very well showing them etc. It's a pretty big setup and I think there was C colts from £250. You can always get colts cheap I find round here. The fillies were from £800.

Good luck.

Lou.x

Llanarth usually make fantastic ridden and performance cobs - Llanarth Braint won plenty in-hand, under saddle and in harness and his son Hoynton Michael ap Braint excelled under saddle. Parc have some amazing old lines in there and I love their cobs; usually very scopey and athletic horses. Nebo.. some of them do better in-hand and in harness but they're really nice true-to-type cobs. With that breeding you really can't go far wrong.

Your boy looks like he'd make a nice ridden cob; the harness types tend to have a much flashier action and also tend to be quite short-coupled (one who did really well in-hand looked like he'd be a nightmare to fit a saddle to!).

I used to ride a Llanarth mare who was really talented; anything you wanted her to do under saddle, she did it. Amazing little mare.

newrider.com