Welsh Section Ds

hoofhearted

Jan 25, 2004
North Wales
Visit site
Hi,am going to look at a Section D this week and just wondered what you all thought about their suitability as a first pony for a slightly nervous adult. I know that you will get different temperaments within a breed, but as a generalisation what d'you think? :)

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
i adore welsh D's, i've had one for 14 years. but they do require a certain kind of person to ride/handle them and not everyone 'clicks' with them. i personally don't think they make great horses for nervous riders, particularly if they are a bit of a character (like my mare) and they may play on your nerves. but, it really depends on the individual horse. but all sec D's i've dealt with have huge characters! i wouldn't discount a sec D but they can be difficult.

heres my little angel (NOT!!), she's a 13.3hh sec D mare
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/eventerbabe/scan0002.jpg

oh bear in mind they are a high risk breed for laminitis aswell and like most natives need careful weight management.

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
They are fantastic horses if you get on with them - they're athletic, verastile, real fun horses. They can be very opinionated though - they certainly don't suit everyone. They have a tendency to being drama queens, lots enjoy showing off, and they do tend to have a sense of humour to go with it all!

Definitely worth going to see - if you do get on with them they're worth their weight in gold... if not, well you haven't lost out by looking!

Good luck! :)

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
definately go take a look. they are lovely ponies :D i think the geldings may be a bit more manageable than the mares. our next sec D (when mum finally caves in!!) is going to be a gelding!! the laminitis is something to be aware of though, its crippled our mare for the past few years and sec D's are a high risk breed.

Est

Feb 20, 2005
chev said:
They can be very opinionated though - they certainly don't suit everyone. They have a tendency to being drama queens, lots enjoy showing off, and they do tend to have a sense of humour to go with it all!

Chev, I think you've met my mare :D
No, seriously, she is fantastic. The first few weeks I was a bit nervous and she tried to take advantage, but as soon as I found my feet and reminded her that *I* was the senior manager, we got on just fine!
Definitely worth a look :)

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
I went out looking for a Sec D, I love them. The only one I ended up seeing (when I was looking there were only sec d mares for sale, and our yard is geldings only :() was a little black one called Dillan. He was soo sweet - they hopped on him bareback and without a bridle in the field to show how trustworthy he was, and he just stood there.
Sadly though, although my instructor said he was 15.2hh he was more like 14hh so way too small for me.
They can be a handful and showoffs, but I think theyre fantastic and so good looking!

xxx

RachelBraz

Feb 13, 2005
My first pony was a 14.1hh Welsh D mare, and she was an absolute babe! She was a real gem when I got her, so calm and quiet, gave me confidence to do showjumping and try xc. I even did dressage with her a few months ago (before I sold her due to uni) and she was brill!
The thing was, once we had fed her up (she was dreadfully thin when we bought her) and schooled her a bit, she did start to show her real personality! Like everyone has said, she was a drama queen, a bit finnicky, could be nervy, but with the right person on her she was great.
But then, aren't all horses different? I say go try this one out and see what it's like as an individual! I certainly wouldn't count it out though! My mare was such a sweetheart!
:)
Rachel

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
We've got a Welsh D a lot of total novices ride. He's not the brightest star but he has an honest face and wouldn't do anything to scare you. He looks at things as though he's about to shy big time, but all he does is look long and hard as he walks past it.

He's very bouncy though, BIG trot and canter.

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
Ooh, good point Wally - they can be very bouncy to ride (especially those bred from lines with lots of in-hand winners and less ridden stock). There are two almost distinct types - one is very flashy in its movement, with lots of knee and hock action, while the other tends to be rather smoother (still generally big moving though).

I used to ride a D stallion for a local stud - he was one of the nicest, safest rides I ever had. Even ridden out with mares he was completely dependable. Lovely lad. They also had a little B stallion I rode - who was a whole lot more exciting! :eek:

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
A lot is still said about the temprement of the individual horse. Copper (owned by Jennj) was my first introduction to a Welsh D (and my first introduction to a non school horse). He was very nervous when being ridden but made a great driving horse (Yes this nervous Nellie actually rode a nervous horse :D)

Beausowner

Feb 10, 2005
I have to agree with eventerbabe. I've got a Section D and I'm a novice. Unfortunately so is my Section D! My last riding school recommended him for me - he's coming up to 9 - I say this because I would have picked a horse that wasn't so green, but I trusted their judgment. On the minus side he is very dramatic - very difficult to ignore him if he is trying to tell you something - he was very steady at first but then learnt that if he spooked he could REALLY spook (drama queen coming out again), he's very bright (hence if he does something once look out - eg the big unseating spinning spook at nothing that he learnt to do, thankfully only with my instructor on him), a huge wuss, can be bargy - every so often its back to ground work to let him know whose boss - you have to be a strong character, and have strong arms! - stubborn as anything - if scary digger by side of the school will not line up by the mounting block that side, but if he decides it's a good day and it won't come to get him no problem the next - he is very nervous and has to take the lead from me - reads my every feeling so can't show any nervousness (hence because I was so nervous when we moved yards he was dreadful, spooking at everything, when I calmed down so did he), best with other horses to give him confidence, but then we have to take the lead so he can show off, I have to be very patient with him - some days it will take quarter of an hour to line up by mounting block, other days straight away, he's very opiniated and very strong. On the plus side he is my first horse (I'm middle aged), and has let me blunder my way through horse ownership very tolerently - he has never bucked with me on him, even the spooks (which he puts in with my trainer) he doesn't do with me on his back, puts up with anything I do to him, I've learnt to lunge him (his first time as well as mine) no problem, he is very loyal - even though I'm a useless rider would much rather have me on him than even a more experienced rider who must be more comfortable for him, loves to be talked to, which calms him down, and very loving. Being honest if I didn't love him to bits I would have sold him by now and bought a more steady, level horse (I wanted a horse for hacking and I'm not sure he will be up to it, possibly too nervous), but then I would probably get very bored because at least with Beau every day is different and he has plenty of character. Will certainly stick with him for the long term. Incidentally, he has a really comfortable trot, but will not canter easily, which suits me fine at the moment as I know he will never tank off!

jessie123

May 12, 2004
Sussex Girl
Visit site
I have my Sec D mare for sale at the moment, she's lovely but not really for the novice rider, she very very showy, from the ground you can have the smallest child see to her as she's so gentle but once in the saddle all she wants to do is pose!!! :rolleyes:
If anyone is interested in her I have posted her in the classifieds under Glanvyrnwy Honey :)

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
don't tempt me jessie!!! mum and i want to get one to do a bit more showing with! will go check out her ad :)

FudgieFoo

Mar 11, 2005
nr. Hemel Hempstead, Herts
I got my 14.2hh 3/4 part bred Section D 11 years ago when she was 5 and I was 10. She is so wicked.

Shes a complete nutcase but if you take her as she is and dont put pressure on her she is so much fun and I spend my time riding her just laughing at her nutty antics.

She is a dream to handle stands when told, never bites or kicks. You can sit in between her back legs and she wont move an inch in case she hurts you! If she catches you by accident she panics and thinks she's so bad!

Even though she's a nutcase to ride she is so safe! She's 100% in traffic and nothing flaps her. I've fallen off before on a hack mid canter and she's stopped dead and hasn't moved an inch from my side. Looking down as if to say "what you doing down there!"

I'd happily let a child handle her. And my non horsey boyfriend can walk her in from the field without a headcollar on.

As for a nervous rider. I know a nervous rider couldnt ride her or any of the Welsh D's I've known but that doesn't rule them out as a breed. They are still all different!!

ANN H

ANN H
Jan 19, 2005
Merseyside
Visit site
All I can tell you is that my mare would definitely not be suitable for a novice. She's an absolute angel manners-wise but quite a handful to ride, as are most of them I believe (its the Arab in them!)

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
There's no Arab to speak of in Ds. Arab blood was introduced to section B when they were creating the Welsh riding pony via stallions like Skowronek and a Barb called Sahara, but Ds are derived from the old trotter and Welsh mountain lines. There was an infusion of Spanish blood around the 1100s, and later Hackney lines (including the French bred saddle horses early in the breed's development) but not Arab to speak of really. Small TB stallions were used on Welsh Mountain ponies during the 1700s but not on cobs.

Tis the fiery Welsh temperament that makes them so much fun... ;) :D

Est

Feb 20, 2005
Just to add some positive stuff!
My mare is indeed a bit of a drama queen and adores attention. But this makes her fun to be with as she enjoys being groomed/scratched/fussed so much.
She is 100% bombproof when ridden - I absolutely trust her. I ride her bareback, have tried some (very) basic vaulting stuff on her, ride her out in heavy and varied traffic (lorries from nearby quarry, buses, tractors, lots of local boy racers etc), ride her past goats, cows, chickens, small children on bicycles (!) - and she never turns a hair!
She is always willing and schools, hacks, does small jumps, gymkhana games etc - very versatile!
I would definitely recommend you view each horse as an individual as some are very typical of their breed and some are less typical - the same as not all TBs are fizzy and hot! :)