Welsh Section C?

Zesty Maximus

Feb 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks, UK
Hello everyone,

I've been looking forward to the day that I get my own horse or pony for most of my life (I'm 27 now) and it seems as though that day is now within arms reach. At last! :D

I've done quite a lot of riding in the past and managed to become quite competent with both riden and stable management and so will be looking for a horse that I will be able to do up to Elementary level dressage and that will also be good enough to use for competing in some cross country and a bit of show jumping. I also want to have loads of fun out on hacks.

I've been looking at all of the 'Horses For Sale' websites that I can find (even those abroad just so I can window shop!) and have fallen in love with the Welsh Section C pony. I weigh under 9 stone and am 5'6" so I don't think it's unrealistic, I just always assumed I'd get a horse!

My question (at last, I'm sorry I've rambled for ages) is what other people's experiences of the Welsh Sec C is and whether you think one would be suitable for my needs? Most of the Welsh Sec Cs that I've seen for sale are being sold because a child has outgrown them. Adults can ride Sec Cs and compete on them can't they?

Thanks if you've read this far! :eek: Any replies will be gratefully devoured for information.

Cheers, Zoe

Hi Zoe!

A sec C would be more than happy carrying you, and if you look for the heavier chunkier type (some are very fine) would probably take up your leg well too. I used to have a C mare and although I'm 2" shorter you would never say I was underhorsed.

They make brilliant workers; they're athletic, they usually have nice elevated paces, and make fantastic Pony Club and Riding Club types. A good one would do everything you want.

I know little about dressage judging though; sec C's are only up to 13.2hh - would that make a difference with dressage competition? I know a couple of people locally who do dressage very successfully on sec Ds but I don't know any adults competing at higher levels on a C. Not sure if that's just down to personal preferance or whether being on a pony puts you at a disadvantage in some way.

If size is going to be an issue in competition had you looked at Ds? They're capable of everything a C is, but stand over 13.2 with no upper limit.

yes, adults can compete welsh section Cs. have you ridden or handled welshes before? they can be challenging, and they seem to be a 'love or hate' breed.
personally, i can't get to grips with welshes (although Ds seem to be my worst, i get on quite well with Bs) - but if you are one who gets on with them then they are very hard to beat.

Hi, thanks for the speedy replies!

Chev:

I'm glad I wouldn't 'drown' a Welsh C, and from your description, they sound pretty well matched for me, which I was really hoping would be the case. I was getting a little nervous what with all of the adverts saying 'would suit ambitious child' etc. It sounded like they were only suitable for children and I'd get laughed at or worse if I phoned up to enquire about one for myself!

Mehitabel:

The only Welsh ponies that I've had experience with have been riding school ones and they were all very cheeky so and sos. They were As and Bs though; I don't believe I've had proper experience of Cs or Ds. Some of my fondest pony memories involve a cheeky Welsh B called Whiskey whom I was often given free rides on because the RI believed I handled him okay and would teach him what good manners were about! :)

I'm hoping that Cs are a little more sensible but still carry that sense of adventure about them. It's a lovely feeling when you know that a pony who is known to be 'difficult' goes well for you.

They can be very sensitive; they have attitude in bucketloads, but they're quite often very dramatic about things with it. I love my Welshies, but there are lots of people who really don't get along with them.

The Cs are very similar to As and Bs - Bs tend to be a bit more easy-going, I think, and seem to have less drama and more humour generally - but that same character is there in all the Welsh breeds.

They're usually best suited to someone who can help them feel confident about things, and who won't be pushed around; you do get some really brave ones but lots do tend to worry and nearly all of them can get quite pushy in certain circumstances.

If you get on with them they are real fun cobs though - with all that pony attitude to boot :D

i ride sully and hes a welsh sec B. and he can carry weight (hes 12.3hh) so having a welsh C is fine. my friend is quite a big person (5ft 3 over 9 1/2 stone) and rides all sizes and owns 5 horses one of which was her first pony a 10.3hh shetland x welsh B and she bombs off on hacks and jumps up to 2ft with her happily. :D and she bucks and spins with me too!!!! :D

chev said:
They're usually best suited to someone who can help them feel confident about things, and who won't be pushed around; you do get some really brave ones but lots do tend to worry and nearly all of them can get quite pushy in certain circumstances.

If you get on with them they are real fun cobs though - with all that pony attitude to boot :D

i totally agree with you there sully is very pushy when he wants to be. and welly is very prissy like (seems like a girly) :) many do make good kiddy ponies though.

they are lively too esp sully, once hes trotted its 'oi mum c'mon when we gonna canter, om bored of circles. please please please can we actually get somewhere with speed.' all this time i'm telling him no then 'look even taffys beating us, ive got to keep up my bad boy speed demon rep, bye' then ping as soon as hes settled hes off. :D :D cheeky bugg*r

Last edited:
you are fine not plaiting for anything else, as it is correct turnout for the breed. you can plait if you want to, but you don't have ot. actually, you don't *have* to plait anything for dressage, it's just convention. i doubt SJ has a rule about it either.

No, you're right. It's only the part-breds that would be plaited. (Maybe someone with more dressage knowlege could correct me if I'm wrong!) A sec C should have really hairy bits trimmed (like moustaches and all the fur they like to grow around the jaw :rolleyes: ), but mane, tail and feathers would be left natural and unplaited. :)

So I'd be able to plait if I wanted to and would not be marked down for plaiting or not plaiting?

If I understand that right, that would also mean that I wouldn't need to have a neatly pulled mane, but if I preferred to, I could? Is this the same for showing? ie: If I wanted to show, would I have to leave the mane to grow or could it be pulled?

Sorry, so many questions! :eek:

For showing, it shouldn't be pulled or plaited. If a Welshie competes in other classes (like a sec B in riding pony classes) where they must be trimmed, it's forgiven; but you probably wouldn't get away with it if you're showing a C because there aren't many classes you'd do that would mean pulling or plaiting was required.

You can tidy and thin a really full mane but obvious pulling and trimming is usually penalised.

round my way (hampshire) i see a lot of welshes of all sections with pulled manes - about 8 inches long, but neat and pulled, similar to how we turn out our foresters. we also see them with long flowing manes. long and flowing is preferred, but certainly at county shows round here, pulled is seen too. chev is in wales, so they might be a bit stricter on welsh turnout there.

You could be describing Sennie Chev :D ;) :rolleyes:

Zesty Maximus, why don't you go and try one of the section cs you like the look of and see how you feel about the size. If he/she feels a bit on the small side you could always go for a section d instead. I am biased towards welshies, as my horse Sennie's a lovely example, all the above with a wonderful kind and funny nature. Although they aren't everyone's cup of tea. As Mehitabel says, if they are, you've had it for good. Nothing else is ever quite like one. :D

Best of luck :)

section welsh c

Hi there

I've got a welsh c 13.2 i'm 5'5 and 9st 12 and he seems to carry me with no trouble and I too was a little worryed about weight etc and many people have put my mine at rest on this issue! All i can say my chap is has excellent temperment and also is excellent with my kids and he is only 5 yrs, and yes he has a cheeky nature when riding him but works well when he knuckles down to work and I also am interested in doing dressage with him and i think if you show in hand you show them in the natural state (i think)

hi,
i used to do SJ XC and showing with my coloured welsh section C and her mane was pulled because i done SJ and XC with her.
here a pic of her at alysham show one year ::

ladyjumping14-08-2006018.jpg

and heres a pic of my welsh section D ::

nessa20ans20aherbert20hacking20o-1.jpg

:D..the coloured is 13 yrs old and 14hh and my bay is 5 yrs old and 15hh:)

That's a lovely mare HB but she's got to be part-bred - she's tobiano, and Welsh ponies don't have the tobiano gene. Plus broken coloured ponies are ineligible for registration... do you know her breeding? Someone on here was asking about Welsh x coloured ponies and if she's registered part-bred I bet they'd love to know more about what you do with her.

newrider.com