Welsh Section A

Nookster

Oct 21, 2002
Need peoples help again please

What classes? What in hand classes can they do

What tack - in hand? Ribbon slip things (hey get my terminology:)) Or leather bridle?

Pony hair – I’m gathering natural?

Anything else?

Does pony have a passport? Should be a green one listing his parentage and giving a reg. number?

I'd be doing small M&M (or welsh sec A&B, depending on how they do the M&M classes by you!). We used to do large M&M with bonnie. She was unreg so check schedules carefully, a lot round my way ask for sire and reg. number. Failing that, BTO inhand maybe? or any of the novelty classes :)

As for tack, you can use an inhand bridle. and i think a white halter would also be correct. See how he runs up inhand, you can often get them looking better in a bridle, at least that's what i was told at the showing thing i went to!

Dscf0485.jpg

I note from your other thread you say he's probably around 8, and that combined with the fact that he's white, would lead me to say ridden bridle (with reins) rather than inhand bridle or halter. That is, assuming you can bit him in time. I'd go for a small hunter bridle, probably a 3/4" noseband, and 1/2" thickness elsewhere, you could get one from Fylde saddlery online, with a little bridoon for the bit. That will also do for the ridden classes later on.

I also think he's quite fine for a sec A judging from the photo I took from the other thread, and would be tempted to plait him up as a show hunter pony. I'd use a solocomb and scissors rather than pull though. That in itself should broaden what you can do with him, as frequently the unregistered classes are mixed with part bred M&M's. Either way his mane could do with a tidy up.

Class wise, for inhand you probably have a choice of best condition, M&M/Part Bred/Unregistered depending on the show, hunter pony if you plait, senior handler/junior handler, T&T and novelty classes. Ridden classes, lead rein, lead rein WH, first ridden, equitation, riding club pony, hunter pony, M&M/unreg/PB, T&T.

If you choose to keep his mane long rather than plait, you can put a single plait in behind the poll and leave it hanging down. It's Welsh thing to show off the head, I put ribbons in mine to match my tie.

Thanks Daffy,

Hes deffo 4 or under, I printed off teeth diagrams to check his against to check his age and he does have canine teeth yet – if that’s the correct name for them.

He is really greasy and his mane is like dreadlocks, his trust is coming slowly but might take time before we can wash him. He needs it desperately. His tail is matted with poo next to his bum

Last edited:
newrider.com