welsh sec d - opinions plz

C

chestnuts4ever

hi all
what do you think of this welshie? hes 5 yr old, well handled, ready to back and is 14.3...he looks lovely...asking £1,500 ono....is this too much?

thanks ( i know the pics not the best but opinions..)

cid_Lovelycob.jpg

can't really see a huge amount from the picture, it's a bit blurry. looks ok, maybe a shade long in the back and his legs seem quite fine (i'm not one for fine welsh cobs, i like the traditional cobby-type ones). But he's a lovely face. Is he registered at all? Do you know his breeding? £1500 seems a fair price.

oooooh he-s stunning! i love the markings! i think 1500 is a fair price to pay for him as long as everything is ok with him.. even better if you could haggle!

Last edited:
oh yes, check he's a nice, straight mover both from the front and back, also watch him side on. also see him in the stable and handle him yourself. was just thinking 5 was a bit late to back them but the stud we are buying from doesn't back their mares til they are 5-7 (because they breed from them). But i do often wonder about late backed welshies, alarm bells just start jingling making me think maybe they've proved a handful so haven't been backed because of that? it's always something to check out :)

he looks like he might be a little croup high so he may grow a bit yet(difficult to tell).
pretty head. black is a sought after colour, nice leg markings.
can't see how much room he's got at the front, but he looks value for money from this piccy.

griffytayherb said:
he is really cute but 5 seems like too old to just start backing him. :rolleyes:
tee hee i backed a 13 year old last year :eek:
she didn't think she was too old, she's having a great time :D

griffytayherb said:
he is really cute but 5 seems like too old to just start backing him. :rolleyes:
My Section D was backed at 8 - she was a driving horse before that so has had to be completely re-educated. Been a bit of a struggle but we're getting there!! I think he looks lovely.

I think £1500 is a lot for this pony as it is unbroken and I would question why at 5 it has not been backed or broken in. £1500 would be a fair price if he had been but had done nothing else. Afterall you will have no indication of how well he will do jumping etc how good he will be in traffic etc

Last edited:
newrider.com