Welsh Sec B x Arab... any ideas?

ponypinkyp

Aug 12, 2004
Worcestershire
Visit site
Hello all,

Just bought him,, totally gorgeous!

Please ,,, does anyone know of the temperament or traits?,,,,

He is 16 years young and ridden by myself before I trailered him home,, now hes gone all moody as he is quarentined and getting quite fizzy being boxed up till weds. Ignoring me, treating me like the 'bad guy'.

Wondering if its just his moods at the moment or something I should look out for in the futre after turn out?

Have known a few welsh x arabs and they have been great, intelligent, sharp, people horses.

Sure when he is getting turnout he will settle, not going to be too happy cooped up.

Good luck and enjoy.

8 weeks ago I bought a Welsh D cross Aussie stock horse. He sulked for weeks, barged me and reduced me to tears. Got great help and support from here.

He was a long time in his last home, and pair bonded very strongly.

In time they come round, he is a sook now and really great. Give it time, its like being taken from your house and thrown in with strangers you've never met.

I did lots of groung work and grooming, give him time to settle, he will be great.

Cate.

Oooh, I shared an arab cross welsh, she was very forward going and a little crazy but bombproof and, of course, beautiful! She was only a youngster though so the little crazy part was prob a lot down to age. Enjoy :)

Mine isn't an Arab x but had to reply cos it sounds like he's acting exactly the same way as mine did after the move even though I'd spent lots of time with him at his old place. He was in a vile mood & I couldn't so much as get him to walk in hand properly for the 1st week. All's much better now though (just 4 weeks on). I'm sure he'll settle down well after being turned out but expect an interesting time getting him from box to field.

So, I doubt it's breed specific hun, just an intelligent horse not being very impressed at all over the move. In a way it's a good thing, shows they take note at what's happening around them & have the capacity to learn & adapt.

Hello all,

Just bought him,, totally gorgeous!

Please ,,, does anyone know of the temperament or traits?,,,,

He is 16 years young and ridden by myself before I trailered him home,, now hes gone all moody as he is quarentined and getting quite fizzy being boxed up till weds. Ignoring me, treating me like the 'bad guy'.

Wondering if its just his moods at the moment or something I should look out for in the futre after turn out?

He's in prison - of course he's "stir-crazy". Spend time with him "bonding" (horrible expression) and he'll come round.

Don't worry about the arab bit. (All Welshies have at least some arab blood as arabs were turned out on the hills to improve the Welsh stock in the 19th century.)

newrider.com