Welsh Cob Tail

JoMoJo

Feb 11, 2015
Hey,
My Welsh Section D has wintered out, out of work and he's now looking a little scruffy!! :/
I'm wanting advise on his tail, it is now getting very long and so heavy(thick)
What would you do with it? And how?
I don't want to just cut(bang) it as I think it will look silly with him being a Welsh. It's driving me crazy! Thanks in advance :) xx

Any photos?
My cob lives out 24/7, once maybe twice a year I wash it. Its a bang tail that's just below the hock, probably just above the feather. I don't do anything else with it. It looks after itself pretty much.
IMG_20150211_214357.jpg

Its always three shades of bay.

I don't have any pictures - I will try get some tomorrow if I get chance! I suppose I could bang it. I have just googled it a few times and a lot of views are not to bang Welsh cobs tails - thanks for your reply x

My Connie does not have a thick tail but it does grow long. I don't like the look of a banged tail, especially on him because his hair is fine, so if it starts actually trailing on the ground I snip out the longest locks with a pair of haircutting scissors to just below his hocks. That seems to maintain the natural-tail look that I like.

Neala's is extremely thick! I plait it in winter taking out and redoing every few days. At the beginning of winter I bang it off by the time spring comes it has grown again and looks lovely for the nice weather and is easier to manage over winter that way. This is where I cut it too around the beginning of November,its nearly at the floor again now ready for spring and for fly swatting :)
96ed95a34d26f126232efd17dd96bf76.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
I have a cob with a thick tail and my Welsh cob had a thick tail before her accident. I have cut their tails into a V, so it doesn't look so blocky, although now I just tend to trim the bottom straight.
I find pig oil is fantastic, just a little bit on a brush and go through the whole tail, it conditions it and keeps it in good condition. I have a tail rake as well and take some of the hair off by the dock just to keep it a bit tidy at the top.

I feel your pain, mine was turned away from September until a few weeks ago and his tail is ridiculous, it was dragging on the floor when he came in, I don't know where to start!

eb60430545b58cfc96b10f693c2f913f.jpg

newrider.com