Welsh cob sales

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
is anyone going to it?

I’ve always wanted to go so this year I have decided to pop down to wales to experience this exhibition of my favourite horse breed.

I am not going to buy anything. I have already decided this, as long as Kia is still here I can not commit to another horse, however I still want to go and experience the atmosphere and see how it all goes :)

I may buy from the sales one day so it would be good to go and see what it’s all about. I never went to the sales with my dad when I was younger, not in the buyers bits anyways lol :)

Reactions: Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've always wanted to go but I know I'm terrible when something I like is there in front of me, so I'm not going until I'm looking for another and have the cash in my pocket to do it :p

I'll look forward to reading about your experience there :D

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I went many times back in the day - thoroughly enjoyed it and I really do like the breed and had a few in my time but certainly not a breed I would choose now for my old lady genteel hacking around. Have a great time and look forward to pics please! :)

Reactions: MrC

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
I couldn't go to any sales as I am one of those people who just wants to take them all home and then there would always be the one that tugs on your heart strings, so I stay clear from any sales, animal shelters etc but enjoy the experience, I hope you have a lovely day .:D

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I've never been but I watched it on a daytime TV show (to see if I could spot YO or her OH who go most years). It wasn't at all what I expected - I imagined sales to be full of pens with dejected looking horses, but it seemed more like a horse show. There were some lovely youngstock being run round the ring, it would be so easy with plenty of money to pick up a thickset flashy weanling or two ...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Why are welsh cobs known for being fiery? I have no experience of them at all. Just curious really and would love to know why people tend to label them as difficult or needing experienced owners. I have a vague memory of a fellow livery owning a young one but I don't recall learning much about her horse, I think it was a finer one? Not particularly chunky set.

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Why are welsh cobs known for being fiery? I have no experience of them at all. Just curious really and would love to know why people tend to label them as difficult or needing experienced owners. I have a vague memory of a fellow livery owning a young one but I don't recall learning much about her horse, I think it was a finer one? Not particularly chunky set.

They can be both very fiery and opinionated and then again they can be the perfect novice owners horse. I think it depends on the bloodlines and also what they are bought for. The show bloodlines are bred to put on a show, big paces, excited, tail and head up etc

I want something with a bit of fire and character, id feel lost without it, it’s what I like about the breed, the intelligence, the power, the versatility, the paces and the fire :)

Kia totally has The Welsh temperament and character but I trust him with my life, he can’t be a cheeky opinionated old bugger but I know he’s never actually try to hurt me. To others though his cheek is intimidating as I’ve seen him be an arse with other people.

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Never been but know a couple of local breeders up here who send any unsold young stock down if they haven't moved them on come sale time.

I see an awful lot of nice Welsh cobs end up selling through Facebook because inexperienced owners buy them then get scared by their temperament. It's like many breeds, some you will be suited to, others you won't. I think if Welsh cobs are your thing (and they are very definitely my thing!) the cob sales would be amazing. Hope you managed to resist purchasing!!!

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Funny I have seen a few at my yard and the last one all have been lovely family horses.

Never seen a fiery one. I know they can be strong and I never think of them as a first horse either

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Funny I have seen a few at my yard and the last one all have been lovely family horses.

Never seen a fiery one. I know they can be strong and I never think of them as a first horse either

They are a good all rounder I think. They just can be too full of character and cheek for some people ;)

Never been but know a couple of local breeders up here who send any unsold young stock down if they haven't moved them on come sale time.

I see an awful lot of nice Welsh cobs end up selling through Facebook because inexperienced owners buy them then get scared by their temperament. It's like many breeds, some you will be suited to, others you won't. I think if Welsh cobs are your thing (and they are very definitely my thing!) the cob sales would be amazing. Hope you managed to resist purchasing!!!

They are definitely my thing, I’ve had three part breds now and I’ve backed a few for people over the years, ground manners left a little to be desired at times and reinforcement was needed atlot in the beginning but once an bond was there they give everything.

I will be resisting as I would prefer to be able to commit fully to a horse rather than spread myself thin, especially with Kia’s needs just now which are my priority :) I just want to enjoy the atmosphere and see the sights :D

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I would love to go to the welsh sales.....but I deffo couldn’t go with money lol as the owner of 3 welsh cobs I would say there is a cob for everyone even the novice.savvannah is quite novice pony not fire breathing welsh dragon like summer storm.... who is the tail in the air pranced when he wants to be. And Shakira is a gentle sort of welshie I just know she is going to make a good all rounder.