Wellies - Aigle or Le Chemeau?

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet & buy some good neoprene lined wellies instead of regularly replacing split or ripped cheaper ones, and I've ended up looking at these two brands. While I'll try to get away with my short leather lace up boots as much as possible sometimes I just can't, as this winter has shown.

They need to be warm as I get cold feet, and comfortable as I wear them all day every day. I don't have the slimmest of legs - that's putting it mildly - so that's also a consideration. I won't be wearing them for riding but they will be used for mucking out & all sorts of yard work, plus the ground around here is flinty so they need to be tough. Good grip is also important - I don't want to be slipping around while dealing with a carthorse that's determined to get to his stable for tea! I want proper wellies that are neoprene lined, not a short wellie with a neoprene top.

So does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, of either of these makes? Or are there any others you'd recommend?

OH and I have both got Caldene neoprene lined wellies this winter and we absolutely love them. Very comfy and warm but I cant say how they are for longevity as it is early days yet.

I havnt personally used them,YO has the chemeau but doesn't wear them much but she likes them.I have ariat glacier boots that I use as my wellies,had them 3 years and they are still going strong never a wet,cold or too hot foot in all the time I've had them,super comfy and love them :)

A google on the Caldene boots doesn't sound very promising, it sounds like I'd have the same problem as I've had with my Dublin ones :(

The Ariat Glacier ones look lovely but I nearly choked at the price!!!!!! Also they're leather which isn't really ideal for the type of abuse I'd give them, even with a lot of tlc I couldn't justify expensive leather boots for days spent mucking out, flattening the muck heap & wading through mud. Beautiful boots though :inlove:

I'll try to hunt tem up after dinner Cortrasna, but a couple of them were on Horse & Hound forum.

I am really happy with my ariat wellies. I wear a welly sock in them and they are well fitting warm and toasty. I love them.

OH has the super expensive Chameau boots with the zip and neoprene lined, but they go for around £210 - gulp!!!

I have the Aigle Parcours boots. Very comfy, I did buy a size too big two years ago because they only had a 7 and it was arctic weather. I think they were just under £100. They are warm, have a zip, are very tough - but I wish I had the Chameau boots!!!

I got mine on eBay,half the price and brand new.mine are abused to death,I have to cross a river everyday at our yard and mid calf height mud on the walk home,I just hose them off and use horsemans one step tack cleaner and conditioner works a treat let them dry in the utility but they are pricey but after getting these at a good price I must admit seeing how good they are I would happily pay the full price,the only wellies I can get to fit are muck boots and they no good where I live,I have rugby player calfs as my dad says need a wide fit :redface:

oh my goodness, this is the first I have ever heard of these wellies , sorry a real country girl and no farmer i know wears these Le Chameau (even sounds posh lol) searched them in google and i nearly choked .......some of them are near £400 .we are talking bloomin wellies here :redface::spin:

Im quite happy with my £10.98 Dunlop wellies of ebay! So far they are the only ones that are lasting on being out on the farm all day ! Plenty of room for thermal socks if needed to !

I'm just fed up of cheap (& not so cheap) ones splitting, cracking or ripping. They aren't cheap if I'm having to replace them this often! My current ones have a big duck tape patch superglued on them because I refuse to replace another pair this quickly. People on the yard with Aigle & Le Chemeau don't seem to have this problem even on our flinty ground, but before I spent that much money I wanted a wider range of views. I really do want neoprene lined too, I get such cold feet that thermal socks just don't do a good enough job in normal wellies.

I have found that the expensive ones - Ariat Mudbusters lasted 6 months before going at the ankle, same as L'Aigle, same as Chameau - seemed to go in the same place around same time i.e. 6-12 months maximm.

I am now trying some musto ones which i bought in January so see if they are any better.

They are all worn for mucking out etc so around 2 hours a day so not extensive but haven't lasted that well. Having said that I had one pair of £10 wellies that fell apart on day 2....

I have aigle parcours vario not the neoprene lining ones the best wellies i have ever owned the new ones are amazing. The mud even glides off them. I have muck boot tynes as well which are neoprene, they are heavy duty boots though prefer my wellies. Aigles are expensive but i have had no problems i live in mine and wear out the soles so need to replace them eventually. The new ones have an anti fatigue sole on them which is so comfy.

My wellies are great and they are mid priced (cheap compared to some under discussion!). They are called Bekinas and they are a wholly agricultural brand aimed at farmers. Lots of room to tuck jeans in, even with my big calves, and they have a flock lining which keeps my feet warm.

They are about £35 I think. I bought them online.

newrider.com