Well my air jacket goes off with a bang!

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
Izzy and I went to Trec obstacles training session today with another lady from the yard. There was 6 of us in the class which was a few too many as we ended up doing lots of standing around which doesn't impress Izzy at all.

We did canter poles, rein back in poles, S bend, bending poles and wooden bridge all without any issues. Then the last obstacle was the low branches. We walked through - no problem, trotted - no problem, cantered through with a lovely canter and me hanging over Izzy's neck. Then, just as we were through I felt him do a tiny buck and suddenly I exploded and was on the floor.:redcarded:

It is the first time I have hit the deck with my exploding jacket and I think Izzy was stunned. I was just mad that I came off with such a woosy buck, but I was still hanging off him to get under the poles so didn't have a chance to get back in the saddle. By that stage Izzy was well hacked off with all the stopping and starting so got excited with a bit of speed. Oops.

On the upside our instructor said I would have got good points as I didn't come off until after we had cleared the obstacle!:wink:

Pics to come when my friend's OH sends them.

Help me out, did you explode before or after you fell off?

I wish I had seen it, especially to see Izzy's face!!! :giggle:

Glad your jacket prevented any damage, though. What do you do now, squeeze all the air out and start again?

Ooh! That could be a new Trec "obstacle" - coping with exploding jacket!!! :giggle:

It was pretty funny. I was sat on the floor giggling and looking like the michelin man with Izzy just staring at me and then nosing me to see what the hissing sound was as I deflated.:giggle:

I think the pics will only be the aftermath, he missed the action shot.

I could feel myself going over his shoulder and I must have exploded right near his head. Good to know it didn't spook him though.

Took it off and did the poles again although just in walk and trot. What he really needed was a good canter to get rid of all his frustration at the standing around.

Help me out, did you explode before or after you fell off?

I wish I had seen it, especially to see Izzy's face!!! :giggle:

Glad your jacket prevented any damage, though. What do you do now, squeeze all the air out and start again?

I spent last night figuring out how to put a new cannister in. The jacket just deflates gradually. When I bought the jacket I bought 5 extra cannisters just so I was prepared.

How does it work to cushion you then, is it like filled tight and you sorta bounce or does it act like a bouncy castle going down, like you sink into it?

The ones I saw at Badminton going off looked not dissimilar to this :D

http://www.lollipopanimation.com/images/gallery/large/cbd12.jpg

Ha ha. THat is pretty much how I looked but I had the added attraction of a riding hat!

PonyIamnotfood - the air holds you and cushions you from the ground or the horse. It gradually deflates after a while. I took it off quite quickly as it is quite uncomfortable when it is full. But you could hear it start to deflate almost immediately I got up. I gave to my friends OH and he put it in the car. By the time we had finished it was completely flat.

The whole thing give the impression of an animated pillar box with a pair of eyes poking through the slot.

All you can see is a pair of eyes and a nose sticking between the gap between the hat ands the top of the vest. I am all for then....on others, very entertaining! ;)

newrider.com