Well I went hacking yesterday !

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
and rather reassuring for me it was as well.

Basically Cookster has moved Yards with our Friends Lou and Sharon. Sharon
was sharing Reg, Louises Horse but has now bought the most HUMUNGOUS
4 year old you have ever seen. Louise has gone on holiday so asked if
I fancied riding Reggie out on a hack with Cookster.

Cookster assured me it would be a 'quiet hack' not out of my comfort zone
considering my neck injury and the fact it was the first time out hacking for
almost 2 Years !!

Reg is a BIG 15.2 Cob X but lovely, so off we go, I was sooo excited and wondering why I had never taken up the offer before. We met another girl, Jo on her TB so there was the 3 of us. Beautiful hacking hardly any
traffic other that one very busy main road, so I settled in at the back of
the Ride with Reg, who was happier as a follower rather than leader as he
was once in a Riding School but then deemed unsuitable......which should
have said it all really:biggrin:

We did lots of walking, lots more Trotting, Basil, Cooksters Horse has improved remarkably out and about but still had a few 'moments':biggrin:

Then we turn into a Bridlepath on a field and they say 'Happy to Canter, purely up to you'? 'Yep' I say 'go for it'
TWO humungous bucks and a leap later we take off after the others. No way I am stopping Reg anyway, lol. At the end of the track Cookster says
'You OK' did he buck....and leap.........I forgot to tell you he always does that at the
back, which is WHY Lou always goes in front' !!! Cheers Cookster:bounce:

We then had another long trot along another track and some Horses in a field come bombing over to the fence, Reg took exception to that and he and I are now going sideways down the Road and Cookster shouts, I have NEVER seen him like that, you must
have a hot A**:bounce:

Its now monsooning and we are all soaked through and we start to make our way back. We drop Jo off at her Yard and she tells me that she thought I was 'very brave' to be out and about like we were on a strange horse'....
Cookster tells me she was well impressed with how confident I still was and it hadn't quite turned into
the ''quiet'' hack she was expecting............like 'I' was expecting any different
have known her too long, Lou as well, there is no such thing as a 'quiet' or 'short' hack:bounce:

I was soaked but happy, had managed to sit out two big bucks and
some slick manouvering sideways on Reg on a wet and slippy road.

Back at the Yard I had to 'think' about how I was gonna get OFF, lol, knees
were creaky and ankles aching, but I managed to swing my leg over and off
I got, lol.

TODAY..........Was in all honesty expecting to be HURTING.......we had been out for 2 hours, seatbones are
a bit tender but other than that I am fine........

YEAH, I CAN STILL CUT THE MUSTARD AND BE OUT DOING THIS.......Hopefully going again next week, lol.

:happy:

Last edited:
Well hopefully won't be that much longer before I am out and about for
'short' hacks on Sioned, lol, it will be a while before we are out for that
type of hack though.

Made me realise just how 'riding unfit' I am:redface: Need to get some
practice in for sure before dealing with my Youngster on a long hack:biggrin:

Well let me know if you are down Brighton way. You can have a go on Izzy to get a bit of fitness - he doesn't buck anymore generally hacking, unless it is particularly exciting.

I certainly will:biggrin:

I have to say Reg's bucks were not the 'I am getting you Off' type of bucks
but very excited 'come on lets go' bucks:giggle: and then a LEAP into
Canter..........Next time I will go in front !!! :bounce:

I think the fact that Basil was in front with another Horse between them didn't really help.

Yeah I loved it, but the best thing for me was knowing I was out for
a couple of hours in the pouring rain on a Horse that wasn't quite
100% (if ever there is one, lol) and didn't get off at the end crippled
with neck pain as I really didn't know how it would be.

HAPPY:biggrin:

Nice one! And as for the aching.... give it time, missus!!! :tongue:

Still Fine today no aches:bounce:

TBH I could be out riding quite a lot, people always offer, but its a time thing more than anything else with working full time and when
I do have the time I would rather be spending it with my two.

However think I will take up the offer of Riding Reg a bit more as I do need to get more 'riding' fit to be fair to Sioned.

Last edited:
Fanatastic post -I am sooo jealous - wish I had friends to hack out with.:redface: Sounds just the sort of thing I need to be doing now with Dolly - but still think I would be braver with company than when Im on my own! Look forward to further happy reports!

newrider.com