Well, I made myself go for a hack...not the best hack...

Jan 10, 2003
Isle of Man
After my feelings yesterday, I knew that if I didn't make myself go out last night I would never get back on Penny.

Well, to say that she was spooky was an understatement - but that I know was down to me. She must have been able to sense how nervous I was, and even from the lane onto the road she was jumping at everything - this from my neddy who is normally 'bombproof' - yet a blade of grass had her snorting and prancing.

We managed to hack out for about 20 minutes before I couldn't take anymore, along a main road a horse decided to trot alongside us to say hello - this and fast traffic, Penny spooking and prancing was the straw for me, I had to get off as I was in pieces.

Gutted and crying I walked her alongside the road, and thank god that the heavy fast traffic wasn't bothering her as that would have been everything!

I walked her on, and back around the loop - and met up with a lovely lady who owned the horse from the roadside and two others (one was a gorgeous Shire x Percheron - just gorgeous, and even Penny thought so) She took a great liking to Penny, and my treeless saddle, so I managed to have a little chat to settle me and Penny down.

I decided that if her horse didn't follow us again I would get back on and try to ride back the 20 minutes or so. This I did, and it was so, so hard, but did get easier - and this is what I should remember. We still jumped at everything we wouldn't normally, and we were doing a fair pace - not normally Penny amble speed, so she was definately wound up.

When I got back my OH was so proud of me for getting back on - he said that it would have been so much easier to just carry on walking on foot and not get back on - but he knows me better than that, he knew that I don't like failure, and this to me was failing....

Hopefully at the weekend my OH can come for a walk with me, as he works shifts he was working last night so not able to walk with me.

I know it will get easier, but I need to invent something that can block your feelings to the horse...grr...I'd make millions.

Hi, I'd just like to say well done for getting back on! I'm not sure what happened before but i know how difficult it is to pluck up the courage.
This may sound silly but my mum, who's a very nervous rider, had a woman who practices Reiki come out and see her horse. She did all this stuff unblocking his chakras (i think thats right) ect. My mum explained to her that she sometimes feels nervous on him when there's heavy traffic, tractors lorries etc abd the woman said she was picking up a word from him and that was 'magic'. This is v. strange but i swear every time she feels him getting upset or she feels nervous, she says this word and it calms them both down. It might be a mind over matter thing, not sure.

Think i went off on a tangent then, sorry.

Well done. I think if we ride on these horrible roads it is only sensible to feel a bit apprehensive. Have you no-one to ride with? Would that help to settle Penny? Also once you get chatting you forget to be so nervous.
I know how it is though trying to do it all yourself as I am the same for much of the time.

Well done you - sounds like you did ok to me!!! I dared to ride OH's gelding last night - (am having LOTS of hacking out nerves / issues). I was riding like a right plonker I know, legs with a vice like grip around Joe's sides / hands high in the air / not breathing hardly (you get the picture) bless Joe, he didn't mind at all :D He's one in a million that lad - took me round safely (kept looking at his dad to make sure it was ok :p )

Thanks guys - maybe I wasn't so bad as I thought.

Gill - No one to ride with, I keep Penny on my own and 99% of the time I am happier with this set up, just typical that my OH was on an evening shift meaning he couldn't walk or cycle with me.

To be honest I was happier on a busier road as the traffic seems to calm Penny - it is natural things such as horses and animals in fields that gets her snorting! :rolleyes:

well done for getting back on - and please remember that getting off is not giving up, at times it is the safest thing for both of you and you have to make that judgement.

newrider.com