Well, I cant believe I am posting this but...

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
...from the weekend after next.....Dolly will be officially barefoot.

After many, many months of research I have decided to give it a proper go. My preparation is done. Her diet is as optimum as I can mange on the land I have, she receives all the correct additives, her hoof wall as improved beyond all recognition in the eighteen months I have been lucky enough to own her.

BUT...despite a change of farrier, who has improved things considerably, her heels still remain constricted and puny, and her frogs are a disgrace.

I have had unshod horses several times in the past, but in every case they were horses that had naturally good feet that it would have been a sin to shoe. Sadly, the Doll isnt one of these!:redcarded:

The deciding factor was that I have managed to find a qualified equine podiatrist that is willing to travel from the North to do Dolly, and will also trim my donkeys. She will also be advising me on boots etc.

I have a sort of sick feeling in my gut that I will end up crippling my angel......but then reassure myself I can always get her shod again if my farrier ever agrees to set foot on my yard again!

Thats all...feel like I have just visited AA or something similar with this post.....:bounce:

One thing you realise once you've done it is that it's not that big a deal really, and you will see big improvements in the feet with any luck :)

Well I keep telling myself that Yann...I have never seen it as any problem in the past.....but looking at the feet she came with I am not entirely convinced this will work. But I have to give it a fair try and do it all as best I can and hope it will improve them for her.

At least (so far!!) she has no soundness issues so I dont have that to worry about like some people who are transitioning, but I intend to keep her sound too so here's hoping!:frown:

Don't worry Cortrasna, frogs can be revolutionised in a couple of months with that wonderful Field Paste. And it's fun looking after your horse's feet!

Shock horror!! :tongue: Friend whipped the arab's shoes off earlier in the year when she realised she wasn't going to get a lot of time riding this summer. Was a complete non issue for her. As Yann says, don't think its a big deal for many horses.

Just see how it goes and give her plenty of time to adjust. As others have said it prob won't be as big a deal as you think, and you can always get her shod again!

My friends horse has been barefoot since feb, she is having shoes on next week, her feet are great condition but she just isnt moving quite the same as before when she was shod, she seems a bit stunted in her stride. Plus she was still really footy on gravel. The owner gave it a really good shot but it just doesn't seem ok for her, so no big deal shoes back on next week.

Whereas mine had theirs taken off and have been great ever since, no going back for mine :)

Good luck. Tommy had his fronts off in June when I bought him and his feet were a tatty mess tbh. A bit of tea tree sprey and some work and they're looking loads better.

I'm going to be really interested to follow you on this one, C. I'm wondering whether to follow this path with my old boy. When you see the fantastic results many peeps here & on the internet have had, it seems worthwhile.

He has "good" feet according to my farrier. He has been shod all his life, but has a horn tumour on a hind (put down to years of hunting exercise - all that trotting on roads) when I got him. He also gets problems with thrush in his front sulcus in the winter. His feed has always been monitored as he used to tie up. Now, I am slowly removing all remnants of starch & molasses from his diet & have just about moved over to Simple Systems feeds. I can't keep him in an ideal environment for barefoot yet - so won't make any decision.

Any observations from you on your barefoot journey with the wonderful Dolly would be very gratefully received. Jolly good luck - I'm rooting for Dolly.

You see I have been lucky with Storm and for 8 years she has been barefoot. Joe on the other hand could never have coped - he was simply too much of a tb with bad feet / collapsed heels etc - poor boy! Chloe is without shoes too and like Storm has lovely, hardy feet. Hope it goes well for the Doll and you - as you say you can always go back to shoes. Look forward to hearing how it goes!
(One of the main things for us is knowing that our girls can stay out as much as possible all year round and not lose shoes!)

Ooh good luck! I am totally foot obsessed since ditching Tangos shoes!! I really think going bf has helped with the tripping but it's not been plain sailing and we are a million miles away from sorted. Good luck!

P.s have you discovered the Pheonix Horse bf forum yet?

Oooh me too... Belle's shoes coming off today!
I'm hoping too that it's not going to be too hard for my little girl and will take it as it comes and see how we go, as others have said shoes can always go back on.
Good luck and keep us posted. :)

newrider.com