Weight up, anxiety levels down! Help!

cookster1975

Jul 24, 2009
Bristol
OK, so I've decided I'm going to try a scoop of FairLady's Prokalm over weekend for solo hacking and see if that helps my poor boy chill just a bit.

When I did a thread about calmers, some of you mentioned feeding. What would you recommend I feed him as he does need help keeping the weight on in the winter (and I am still giving him a small feed a day at mo), but is EXTREMELY anxious. So, no molasses etc but can anyone recommend good feeds for this type of horse?:D

Thanks again.x

Ad lib hay and Badminton Easy Rider?

No mollasses, no alfalfa. If he still loses weight I'd be inclined to look at adding extra rugs rather than adding to the food.

Speedi Beet is good but not sure how great it is for keeping weight on...I used to feed it to Dolly (world's best good doer) as a base for her supplements and she never gained weight on it.

I'm in Bradley Stoke and the ponies are just off the next motorway junction - you'll have to come visit them! :)

I keep Basil in Winterbourne, so just up the road!

Just spoken to Badminton feeds and they recommended cutting out the Alfalfa if we've got plenty of grass (which we have) and he has loads of hay in winter, and just giving either evenkeel and triple top up or easy rider and triple top up.

His feeds would be tiny, but I suppose as long as he's getting all the forage he needs it doesn't matter really?

Worth a go I suppose. Thanks for your help.x

p.s. I'd love to come and see the ponios sometime.

Tiny feeds are far better than big ones, especially if they're forage based :)

My neds each get 1 handful of Top Spec Anti Lam with their magnesium and that's it...their feeds don't even cover the bottom of their bowls but they both look good on it.

You're more than welcome to come visit whenever - I'm about this weekend, drop me a PM :)

newrider.com