Weigh tapes and effects of a grazing muzzle

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Is there really any advantage in using a weight tape, say over getting something like a tailors tape measure to meaure tummy?

Also, how quickly do you see effects of using a grazing muzzle? Turn out is one-two days and then a night in - with a pony sized hay net (having come off lush pasture, no muzzle, and haylage). It might sound strange, but I am worried she will lose weight to quickly and she will be hungry :eek:

I do still use the weight tape but its not always right, my Welsh Section A has lost tones of weight yet it says hes the same weight at the start of the summer? you can see and feel his ribs, before he was a beefa.

I would have thought a few weeks, I much prefer to section a bare paddock.

I can't section... and shockingly, she gets bullied in lami field so not an option at the moment. I am monitoring using her rug at the moment as was tight on surgingles, and last two days has been looser :) (She unusally bloats up outside, and down after being in). As a monitoring tool woud the tape measure be effective enough?

Condition scoring and weight taping are a good way to monitor changes.

I take regular photos from the same angles and distance as a pictorial record of my mares weight.

Also you can use anything to guage changes in girth, doesn;t have to be a weight tape. You could even use string (if it doesn't have too much give in it) and then tie a knot in it to mark the measurement.

Of course despite us all knowing that weight tapes aren't very accurate in determining actual body weight for things like worming and towing weights there aren't that many people who have actually bunged their equines on a weighbridge and do rely on the tape. :eek:

Is the tape safe enough to use for calculating supplements/wormers etc?

Jsut debating about investing in one... I thought they would be about £2... but more like 8-10 :eek:

A weight tape is supposed to be used at the girth, which I find has hardly changed over 7 years.

However I meaure the middle of his belly as well with the inches and I find that changes rather a lot from season to season.

So I do both. Tummy surcingles on rugs also gives a very accurate reading as does girth.

Grazing muzzle you should see a difference in two weeks if you have it on in the day and off at night and the occasional stabling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the big issue with weight tapes is that they tend to measure mass, not weight. They measure the girth, which can be huge on some horses and tiny on others, but the horses eat different amount of food and meds have to be adjusted and such. For example: my mare wears a 52" girth and she's 14.2hh. My firend had a horse at 14.3hh and only wore a 48" girth, but hers ate more than mine. Mine just happens to have a massive rib cage and alot of lung room.

A weight tape on my horse would give a similar reading to that of a 16+hh horse, yet mine will still weigh less. Also, fat weighs less than muscle, so when calculating meds and supps, a weight tape cannot give you an accurate weight if your horse is very muscular as opposed to having fat in those places (mine has fat :) )

Taking the horse to a vet or weigh bridge to have it weighed is the best way to get it done.

newrider.com