Weanlings to full grown... the diary of Kira and Stormy!!

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Kira and Stormy meet the Farrier....

They have now been living out fulltime for 2 weeks and come into the stable everyday for a feed,grooming or some leading work.They are always waiting to come in when we get there and after a feed we work with them.

I booked the Farrier to come and do Sweep and Faye and to see if the foals would stand to be done. Sweep was first to be done and Behaved brilliantly and was soon trotting off on her new twinkle toes into the hayshed field being the cheeky thing she is,next i caught Faye with the help of a carrot and being an old timer she was soon done and back off to her haybale.

I explained to the farrier about Stormy and Kira both not having been done before and said they were both ok picking there feet up so he agreed to do Stormy first. As soon as he went into Stormies stable he was spinning around and snorting like the wild colt foal we first had 4 months ago you wouldn't think it was the same pony we groom everyday.I went to get some feed from the hayshed and next thing i saw was Stormy pulling with all his might at the end of a lead rope with the farrier in tow he was having none of it. He was prancing around and snorting from corner to corner so we decided to leave him to go back in the stable with a feed to settle down while we got Kira out.

Kira came out and was nervous of the Farrier but eventually she let him near her to stroke and groom her, she was happier on one side more than the other and after her intial nerves calmed down and with a little bit of pulling was soon happy having her front two feet picked up on the end of a loose rope after 5 or 10 mins she was having her front feet clipped and rasped and only dancing about a little bit.The Farrier i have to thank for being so patient with her he stroked her legs from top to bottom then work on picking them up holding them out in front, shaking them gently, tapping them.Then on a loose rope he started work on her back legs touching them, stroking them and eventually with some dancing around she had her feet trimmed and rasped so 3 out of 4 ponies done was excellent and i am very happy.We really have to work with others handling Stormy i think thats his biggest fear...New people.

I had a chat with the Farrier and paid him and off he went.You would think he had never been handled never mind the work we have put in all winter!! G got a lead rope clipped it to Stormy and lead him out the stable like a Dope on a Rope!!!, you would not think it was the same pony to the one prancing around the field half and hour earlier:mad::mad::eek:
He then picked all four feet up .....Grrrrrrrrrr this boy while i think hes is smashing can be infuriating at times :p

It was awesome watching the farrier work with Kira loose determined but so patient.He has earned my respect. I thought he might just get them picking their feet up we both thought it would be another few times before their feet were done :)

Nothing like a pony to make you feel like a complete imbecile and show you up esp when people have been driving past and congratulated G on how well hes done with him since we got him and how much calmer he seems now :(

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Trotting inhand

Spent a lot of time at the yard over the easter weekend.Kira has finally learned to trot inhand with the help of a small tap from the lunge whip, she has finally got the idea though occasionally goes off into canter.So we have been working on getting her to stand up,walk more actrively and trotting. I can feel a show comming soon :D:D with a little more work.

Stormy is still leading at walk.:eek: because every now and then he spooks off at full gallop so taking things a bit slower with him.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Stormy 2nd vist with the farrier!!!!

Today we went to the yard for about 9.30 chased the yearling's around so they would have less energy for the farrier when he arrived at 11 am.We put them both in the stables and let them settle a little after all the excitement.G went in and brushed Storm his winter coat is falling out now he looks a sight at the moment.

I had already texted the farrier about using some sedalin just to take the edge off him so put 3mg in his cubed feed about 20 mins before the farrier arrived. We also put on a cob sized Parrelli head collar to give more control it was a little big but probably much better than his little foal collar.

He was very relaxed when the farrier got here and the farrier had his own type of rope halter so G went in and spent about 5 mins approach and retreat with the new rope halter it was soon on and fixed with a strong rope lead.

The farrier lead Storm out of the stable and he immeadiately ran off fighting to the end of the rope rearing and pulling but with five mins he was starting to let the farrier almost touch him.He did some work pressure and release and a reward stroke and soon Storm was begining to calm down quite a lot.He was still very unsure of the farrier but he kept him close stroking and patting him all over and pressure and release every time Storm tried to go away.He made him comfortable in close up but worked him at the end of the lead rope soon Storm was walking, backing up, turning from side to side front end and back end.

Now Storm was more relaxed and comfortable the farrier started working on his front two legs again with approach and retreat and Storm became more comfortable lifting his legs,Tapped and rubbed with the rasp and handle,having them stretched forwards and backwards stiil a little spooky but amazinglyy he had both his front feet clipped and rasped.Storm has a little hole in his front hoof wall I had mentioned this to the farrier earlier and he said sometime as a foal he had hurt his corony band but now it would grow down and out over subsequent visits.

I was so grateful to my farrier,he really took his time with Storm he has the most quiet gentle way with the yearlings,he is amazing to watch work.He did some touching with the rasp up and down his back legs and left it there.So ended his 2nd visit and the progress this time was so much better he had both his front feet done and most amazing of all he actually let the farrier near him which is good as Storm,s biggest fear is strangers. My brave boy :D:D:D

Attachments

• S and farrier 1st.jpg
    S and farrier 1st.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 13
  • S & Farier 1st time(2).jpg
    S & Farier 1st time(2).jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1st time farrier(3).jpg
    1st time farrier(3).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 12
  • S farr8.jpg
    S farr8.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
More pics of my good little boy:D:D:D. Its has taken 6 months with him to get this far but I was proud of both Storm and my farrier today.He never once lost patience with him just kept on in a quiet, gentle way and the result was a half done farrier session well worth £20 for the time he put in today and his advice at the end was to carry on working with his front feet picking them up and stretching them backwards and forwards and tapping with the rasp he had kindly left us.But also to work more on desentsitising his back legs more with a broom shank to stop him kicking out!

All in all a excellent visit this time!!!! I am one happy lady ;-)

Attachments

• S feetcclip 2.jpg
    S feetcclip 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 8
  • S Feet clip3.jpg
    S Feet clip3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 7
  • S farrier 7.jpg
    S farrier 7.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
My daughter and Kira have been having a 1st practise bath. She was introduced first to a dry sponge and groomed all over till kira was accepting it. Next the sponge was slightly dampened it was a boiling hot day so Kira loved this finally my daugher wet the sponge and kept letting it drip all over Kira till she was soaking. We left it at that with a proper shampoo bath planned for the summer hols when we have more time. No shampoo this time just incase Kira objected to the wet sponge:p

Stormy has been put in his own paddock now till we can get him gelded as I have 3 mares. He is still not colty at all but I do feel sorry for him all on his own up there away from his herd, We intend this week to get some 4 ft 6 posts to stop any possibility of him jumping out. Fingers crossed he stays behind the electric fencing though.

I am going to see if I can loan him a gelding for the summer for company if my field owners agrees.

He is finnally almost out of his winter coat but had gotten a bit rag taggy so no pics till you can see him fully in his summer splendour:eek:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Stormy has been checked by the Vet and he has dropped which is good news now for a summer of worrying incase he escapes the fencing again. Though we have bought higher fence posts and thicker wire. He even let the Vet stroke him which is a big improvement and shows he is becomming much braver in general.

Kira has spent the spring grazing with Faye and has decided she no longer wants to be caught :( little madam but once the summer hols is here I will have Skye here to spend more time with her.
We plan on giving her a bath and trying to get rugs on and off her ready for winter. Maybe even a show or two if she takes to bathing well :D Still working on Stormy picking up his feet for the farrier maybe one day he will get all his feet trimmed in one session! fingers crossed.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.jpg
    IMG_4558.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4479 (2).jpg
    IMG_4479 (2).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Just read your whole diary from start to finish - what a great story. Jealous that you have an OH that is interested in horses.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Round Pen, cowboy hat and de spooking Stormy

Ages since I updated the thread with these two. Stormy and Kira had most of the summer off just eating in their paddocks with occasional handling from us due to the arrival of Eva our new fell mare.

Now Autumn is here Graham made a round pen out of electric fencing posts and tape to work the ponies in. It is working well allowing plenty of room to do work with them. I also finally got Graham his cowboy hat which I have been promising him so he can look like his aussie horse hero Clinton Anderson ;-)
So here are some pictures of Graham with Stormy getting him used to things he might meet out and about.

Armed with umbrellas,scrunched up feed bags and towels they will be bombproofed over the Autumn :) both of them.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
April 2011

Stormy and Kira are now grown up two year olds ( time flies). Stormy was gelded this month and was kept in a paddock alone but next to the other ponies to re couperate.

They are both looking good shedding there winter coats we have been working gently with them over the Easter hols. Stormy needs lots of work picking up his back feet and will be bitted this summer and start his long reining along with Kira. once bitted I will start walking them out on roads to see a bit of the world. Stormy is now about 14 hh and Kira is about 13.2 hh at two years and still some growing to do yet :)

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Stormy is back in with Faye and Kira and has calmed down loads going to spend the holidays mouthing him with a straight bar happy mouth. They are both now Two years old. time flies. Some photos with my OH they have a really great partnership and these photos show that I think :)

007-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

006-1.jpg

Last edited:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Summer Hols walking them around the hacking track in hand and going to bit them both and mouth them :)

Some of their latests photos taken today. Enjoy.
How much have they grown up :)

1 & 5 Stormy

2,3 & 4 Kira

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 16
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Its just amazing how quickly the time seems to go by isn't it, even though
we obviously KNOW a YEAR is a YEAR:giggle:

They are both looking great and maturing nicely, before you know it you will
be out and about with them both and SITTING ON THEM:giggle::wink:

You know them so well now and vice versa it will be a doddle:wink:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
My OH asked me to not sell Kira, I was feeling very unsure about splitting the youngsters anyways. So the sale is not going through now. She is staying put :)

My OH suffers with heart failure and recently he has been having more symptoms, I was thinking that cutting the numbers in my herd would be less work for him, and would help ease his symptoms.

But he wants her to stay as he really enjoys his time with our ponies. Like he said it really doesn't matter if they stay as big pets. I know he has put so much time in with them both. I watch and help where he needs it.

I am getting him A Clinton Anderson dvd training course as he seem to enjoy his approach to handling our foals. I know they have taught him so much in the last 18 months. He sees himself as a novice horse whisperer ;-)

So this pair will get to spend there lives together like we originally intended :playfull:

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Always should be a 100% decision :wink: Sounds like you had a niggling doubt some where :smile: I some times wonder what would have happened if I hadn't sold Bailey - very possibly a very large pet :giggle:
He out and about, and was seen at Bakewell Show on Thursday, yard mate recognised him :biggrin: Been a really strange week, but I feel ok now :smile:
Some times you have to listen to your heart, as well as your head, and go with the flow:smile:

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
from 2.5 years till Jan 2014 as 4 rising 5 years

Wow 2 more years have gone past since I last updated this during this time Kira was lightly backed by Skye bareback and bitless and we decided to leave Stormy another year to mature more with him having to carry adult riders and not lightweight ones at that.

While they do get handled they haven't been over handled with lots of time grazing with there adopted grandma Faye keeping them both in order :) They now both see the farrier every 8 weeks but Stormy is still funny with his back feet but my OH is working on clicker training him with them. Kira is great with all four feet, being tied up brushed all over wearing a roller and wearing a bitless bridle.

Stormy has had a roller and saddle on both oif which he took to very well. Next is to get some lessons in long reining as I am not 100% sure how to start them in long reins so going to get some professional help with this.

Today bought both of them in brushed them. picked out there feet detangled there manes then measured them with the Wintec gullet measure so I have an idea what width sizes they will need and surprisingly Kira who is finer was X Wide compared to Stormy who is a much chunkier Sec D but was only a wide fitting for his saddle. So now ready for spring they will have there wolf teeth out ready for biting and backing this summer :)

They will be worked two to 5 days a week now depending on the weather ready for spring /summer backing.... I will be journaling how they both take to the preparation for ridden work. I will sort out some pics from the last few years as an update too.... I cannot believe I haven't journaled for so long :stomp: naughty mummy lol Please forgive me :yellowcarded::giggle:

Stormy with his Nurtural bridle on

Stormy with our young sharer

Stormy last Summer and Autumn

Last edited: