Weak / sticky stifle and jumping

Pixxelated

Jul 21, 2020
Would you do it?

My 10 year old Welsh x has got a bit of a sticky stifle on his offside. Nothing dramatic, in fact it is fairly mild. He’s never hopped around on 3 legs trying to unlock it. And to be honest, he seems mostly unbothered by it.

The vet isn’t too worried, and thinks it’s just cause he was very fat and undermuscled when I got him last year. He’s lost the weight now. But could do with a bit more muscle in his hind end, especially over that stifle - it’s a work in progress.

He’s always been good over jumps in both his previous home and the bits of free scholing we’ve done. He’s done a bit of low crosspole jumping with his loaner, and doesn’t seem bothered afterwards either. I’m only asking cause his loaner wants to jump him to 65 - 70cms now, but I’m not sure he should. So, would you do it?

Personally no. What does your vet think about jumping? I would be guided by them but it’s up to you as the owner either way. I wouldn’t because if looking to prolong life then doing something if theres any chance it might not be comfortable or make the condition worse then I wouldn’t. I don’t know about your horses condition really, so I could be wrong. I’d get a professional opinion if bothered anyway.

Thanks! I was leaning towards no as well, but I thought I’d ask for another opinion (I have a tendency of being too protective haha).

The general prognosis is looking positive, and the vet says that with some more groundwork, poles and other exercises to engage his hind - the problem would likely be resolved as he gets stronger. So in future it’ll likely be less of an issue to jump.

It’s just the next few months I’m not feeling entirely positive about.

I would with the right conditioning ;) locking stifles can be greatly improved by getting them strong and fit, doing hill work and cavaletti can make a huge difference to how much it locks. If the loaner wants to jump then I would get them to commit to doing a strengthening exercise program before they start to make sure he's as unlikely as possible to have any problem from it.

One of my ponies has moderately bad locking in both stifles, when he was going out regularly (led off my mare as he's only 8hh) and driving, doing quite a few miles, he hardly had any problems but since I can't take him any more and sold his cart it is very much more noticeable and he is struggling more with it.

Reactions: PePo
I would with the right conditioning ;) locking stifles can be greatly improved by getting them strong and fit, doing hill work and cavaletti can make a huge difference to how much it locks. If the loaner wants to jump then I would get them to commit to doing a strengthening exercise program before they start to make sure he's as unlikely as possible to have any problem from it.

One of my ponies has moderately bad locking in both stifles, when he was going out regularly (led off my mare as he's only 8hh) and driving, doing quite a few miles, he hardly had any problems but since I can't take him any more and sold his cart it is very much more noticeable and he is struggling more with it.

Basically Jessey prevented me typing out all of this :)

Reactions: Jessey
Now I'm confused about the difference between locking and slipping stifles. I understand that horses can voluntarily lock their stifles so they can remain standing when asleep - by sliding the ligament over the stifle joint and hooking it behind a piece of bone. Sometimes they can't 'unslide' it and that's when the stifle gets locked. I've only seen it once and it was quite distressing.

My friend's horse has slipping stifles. When he's in regular work and turned out 24/7 he seems ok, but if his muscles get a bit weak his stifles seem to give way sometimes, especially on hills. It looks odd but it doesn't seem to bother him and I've never seen it lock.

Does/can a horse have both conditions together? I mean, is it all part of the same thing or are the two conditions opposite to each other? I'm guessing that whatever the answer, the treatment is the same, ie building up the muscle to support the joint?

I can't say I've heard of slipping stifles, in terms of the stifle giving way when in motion. When the stifle locks in motion and unlocks quickly, it looks like it kind of jolts and they suddenly drop/stumble on it, if you get a complete lock they drag or swing the leg out as they can't bend it, Hank does both depending on how badly it's locked.

Reactions: Bodshi
I’m fairly certain locking and slipping stifle refer to the same thing. Some people use it as a synonym.

Anyways, thank you guys! I’ve had a chat and we’re both going to do a lot of strengthening and general exercises to get him to engage his hind.

He’s also on a glucosamine supplement, which will hopefully improve his joints in general. The vet recommended doing this. So hopefully we’ll get some results!

Reactions: Bodshi and Jessey
newrider.com