We got stuck in a gate ouch

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
I think me and Ozzy tried to get too adventurous too soon. Off we went on a hack yesterday with my friend on her pony. We decided to go the other way down the bridle path and go through the corn on the cob field. This meant negotiating 3 small spring loaded gates. Well gate 1 went really well Ozzy even pushed it open himself very brave boy i thought and off we go. Gate 2 my friend goes first as this one is spring loaded and opened towards us then its our turn so i decided to hook the loop off my whip onto the handle to open the gate so we can go through. Well i thought i had the gate open but i must have loosed it too soon as we got wedged, my leg was stuck and Ozzy started to push in a panic. I really thought i was going to break my leg or even my pelvis. Anyway just managed to wriggle out of the stirrups before Ozzy really panicked and rammed himself through the fence and i managed to bail out. Ozzy ran around the field on the other side then just stood there huffing and puffing bless him. I am now elated i still have 2 working legs and thank god for small mercies that i was wearing steel toe cap boots when i notice the pieces gouged out of them :eek:. Both of us checked over and big cuddles for Ozzy as it was all totally my fault :rolleyes:

Next problem i cant get on Ozzy from the ground as he is a barrel and the saddle slips. Also Ozzy is a bargy little bee on the ground even when led in a bridle. So we spend the next 20 minutes hunting for a suitable mounting place whilst Ozzy snacks on everything he can possibly get in his mouth he is so greedy :rolleyes:.

Legs very bruised and stiff all over this morning so i must have battered myself a bit more than i thought, i think the adrenaline at the time just stops the pain kicking in.

And they say happy hacking is boring, i definately dont agree, for me every hack is an adventure :D

Ouuuuccchhh! Been there and done that. When Arnie was learning the ins and outs of gates my kneecaps took a real pounding.

I also share your pain of round barrels and slipping saddles! You can get a natty little gadget (think Robinsons sell them) that slips into your stirrup and basically lengthens your stirrup about 7 or 8 inches and lets you get on easier.

At least you are out there having some "fun" with him:D

When the ain is all over you will laugh about it :D (I say this form experience).

Gates are a nightmare!! Fortunately a few around my area are horse frienly and have a dip in the middle that is low enough to allow a horse to walk over but not cars etc.
Hacks definately require more guts than other disciplines lol.

Jen
x

I have done that before so I feel your pain. My horse barged through a very narrow gateway and my lower leg got stuck. My shin was so bruised it was painful to walk for ages afterwards. I tend to put my knees up in front of the saddle to avoid this happening again.

Little tip for getting on that I learnt when working in a riding school. If your horse isn't too tall lean over the saddle hold onto the stirrup on the other side and put your weight into it as you are getting on. It counteracts your weight and is the only way I can got on my cob from the ground.

Poor you. My friend had her leg bashed very hard when her fatkin squashed through a gate and she had a mega bruise. Consequently I am now very fearful of gates especially hunting gates (friend oddly is not!), and I dismount frequently through narrow gaps! Hacking I agree is not for the faint hearted! Hope pain subsides soon. :)

ouchie :eek: how horrible, hope you're ok!!

if ozzy actually broke a fence or the gate, you might have to let the council know (anonymous call might be better in this case, ahem!) so they can fix it :)

I had an accident yesterday got my sturrup caught on a gate, horse couldnt move backwards or forwards then all of a sudden CRASH!! she broke the gate post and it came crushing down along with me. Now have massive black bruise on bum and left leg and taking plenty of painkillers!! :eek:

I had an accident yesterday got my sturrup caught on a gate, horse couldnt move backwards or forwards then all of a sudden CRASH!! she broke the gate post and it came crushing down along with me. Now have massive black bruise on bum and left leg and taking plenty of painkillers!! :eek:

Oh no you sound like you came off worse than me my bum is intact just got a big black bruise on each knee. Luckily Ozzy didnt break the fence. He trashed my jodphur boots though and scuffed his saddle. 2nd time i have worn my boots i usually hack in woof wear muckers which would have split so i think its fate i wore those boots.

Hope your feeling better soon :)

Ouch.. sounds painful! I've only ever scraped my legs, caught my knee and foot on the side of gate posts.. i'm sure worse things will happen in time :rolleyes:

newrider.com