we always canter on same lead leg

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Moet much prefers the right rein, and i think always canters on that lead when out hacking (im not very experienced with knowing which leg shes on, but getting there!)...i think we just match in that way as i prefer the right rein too and i think we naturally go on that lead when out hacking.

Anyway i was just sitting here thinking about the hack i did on wed and we had a very short unbalanced canter in the forest...i was just thinking how good she was not to buck or anything as i was clearly wonky and felt very unstable (not scared though thankfully!). And i think i just realised that she was actually cantering on the left lead and i think that why we were all over the place!

i need to teach me/her how to go on the left lead sometimes- any tips?!

First thing I would do is get her saddle fit checked and also her back and teeth - to be that very one sided could indicate pain somewhere.

Next I think the best thing is to book a few lessons with an instructor - that way you will know when you are right and when you are wrong. Otherwise you may mistake her being disunited for her attempt at left lead canter etc. Also, you can be quicker to correct her when she strikes off wrong and also you will be able to give clearer aids for the canter lead you want :)

i need to teach me/her how to go on the left lead sometimes- any tips?!

Are you talking about in the school, or on hacks??

Cantering on hacks, I wouldn't try to change her leading leg, to be honest. As you experienced, she felt very wobbly and unbalanced when she was on the left lead. Personally when I'm out hacking (at any pace, but especially cantering) my priority is leaving it to the horse to balance themselves and not interfere too much. An unbalanced canter on a hack is more likely to end in a stumble or fall, especially on fairly rough terrain. If your horse is balanced and comfortable on the right lead, why try to change it??

It's different to being enclosed in the school, where cantering on the wrong leg leaves the horse more vulnerable to falling in/losing balance/falling over on turns.

Are you talking about in the school, or on hacks??

Cantering on hacks, I wouldn't try to change her leading leg, to be honest. As you experienced, she felt very wobbly and unbalanced when she was on the left lead. Personally when I'm out hacking (at any pace, but especially cantering) my priority is leaving it to the horse to balance themselves and not interfere too much. An unbalanced canter on a hack is more likely to end in a stumble or fall, especially on fairly rough terrain. If your horse is balanced and comfortable on the right lead, why try to change it??

It's different to being enclosed in the school, where cantering on the wrong leg leaves the horse more vulnerable to falling in/losing balance/falling over on turns.

i totally agree actually...i think i would rather her feel comfortable and balanced and then theres less chance of an accident and confidence issues....thanks for making me see sense!!

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works....but attaining a balanced canter on both reins will improve her overall balance and co-ordination. Also, it help her muscles develop evenly; uneven muscle development makes saddle fitting nigh on impossible and also means one side of the body is weaker making it more prone to strains/muscle fatigue.

:eek:

yes Midnight_ashes i agree with your comments too. We have started having lessons with an instructor over the last 6 wks, so hopefully things will naturally improve in the school and then we can start implementing things on hacks too. Also have had her checked out recently, back saddle & teeth are fine. But this is my horse who was lame for 18 months and has developed a natural wonkiness and preference to the right rein. But i have already seen improvements in her in the last few months so i think we are heading in the right direction.

Izzy is also less balanced on the left rein. But my RI found that when she was jumping him he went on the correct lead after a jump on the left rein.

So what my RI has said is a good exercise is to put a pole on the diagonal going into the corner of the school so you have to ride over the pole when you are riding across the school into the corner and to turn onto the left rein. I am putting on both corners to do it on both reins.

She said it helps him get the correct lead and it will help him to learn to go on the correct lead, eventually without the pole.

I hope that's clear! I know what I mean but don't know the terminology to explain it!

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works....but attaining a balanced canter on both reins will improve her overall balance and co-ordination. Also, it help her muscles develop evenly; uneven muscle development makes saddle fitting nigh on impossible and also means one side of the body is weaker making it more prone to strains/muscle fatigue.

No, I agree with this completely :) But my point is that it's probably best to work on it in the school to start with rather than trying to make changes whilst hacking, where interfering with the horse's way of going can be quite a hazardous option. As she starts to improve her bad rein with careful schooling, that improvement should then appear on hacks as well.

But I suppose it depends on personal preference how you approach this sort of issue. Personally I prefer to use the school for schooling and keep hacking as relaxing and straightforward as possible :)

Last edited:
M is bad on right canter lead. Like us they're right/left handed and find better to do things on one side than other. It took a long time to sort but we're at the stage where we can change on the fly so it's possible :)

Build up her muscles on the ground first - lunge on the left lead as often as poss for a few weeks and get her stronger on that side. Then when you start doing it ridden she will find it easier.

Harry Chaim Faibish

HI
I read your problem, the horse must canter on both reins, and the best way to help him is on the lunge, don't lunge him for too long,a few minutes on each rein,with long side reins, caveson, long lunging rein,the side rein put them low on the saddle, or lunging roller, and brushing boots. Start with walk,few rounds, and then trot few round,very important don't lunge with side in the beginning, the first few minutes,to let the horse to stretch to the maximum,and then put them on, NOT SHORT, do the canter in the end, after the horse is worm, and loose, if is not good don't worry, with time it will get better.
Very important keep the rhythm, don't let the horse to run, bat also not to sleep. All the best.
WWW.FAIBISHCLASSICALTRAINER.COM

newrider.com