Ways to strength inner thighs!

MrsR

Sep 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Apart from the strengthening you get from riding is there any other exercises anyone knows to strengthen the inner muscles as I struggle with one thigh more than the other and I have to say really both I do not really have the strength in to give any squeeze to the horse when he is moving away from the outside of the school!

Sorry if that wasn't in technical terms!

Okay.. Lie on the floor on your side, so that your lower leg is a bit further forwards than the one on top. Lift the top leg up and place the sole of your foot behind the lower leg's knee, so that the upper leg's knee is pointing upwards. Place your lower arm so that elbow is the furthest point of your body and your head is resting on your hand, to keep your head up, still facing towards the side (i.e. keeping you lying on your side rather than on your back), not up. Then, while keeping the lower leg straight, lift it off the floor towards the ceiling about 10-15cm. And then lower it back down again. Repeat in intervals, you can feel how the inner thigh muscles make the leg rise. You can adjust your body position to what feels the most comfortable for you, as not everyone likes keeping the body absolutely straight, but it is the easiest to explain that way when one can't actually show what to do.

You can add more resistance by either lifting your leg a bit higher/slower or maybe attaching a small weight on your ankle, or lifting in stages (first 5cm, short hold, another 5 cm and short hold then another 5cm and then slowly lowering the leg back to ground) Remember to do all the movements slow to really make the muscles work and spare the joints, not just yank your leg up and drop down. And then switch over to the other side.

Nina x

Ps. Would recommend doing lots of other excercises as well, warming up the muscles before doing this including walking, and do remember to stretch the muscles you used after every workout! :)

Last edited:
If you can get to a gym, going on the exercise bike (the one you sit back on) and rotate you feet so your toes point out will get the inner muscles !

In theory a good idea, but if you twist your legs while doing circular motion, it will cause, in the long run, damage to your joints. Always do exerices so that joints are in line. :)

Nina x

Remember to work on stretching as well as strengthening or you can cause the muscles to bunch up - which makes them hurt more when they're tired!

Try sitting on the floor with your feet together in front of you. Let your knees flop out/down to the floor and put the soles of your feet together. Then slowly try to bring your heels into your crotch and push your knees down to the floor. You'll feel a massive stretch on your inner thighs - don't go too far at first unless you want to walk like John Wayne!! Once you can get your feet in and knees down comfortably, you can push the stretch more by bringing your forehead down to touch your feet......

Doing Pilates and going to the gym! I now do both and I have noticed such a huge improvement in my riding altogether:D my legs are really strong now, as are my arms from the weight lifting :eek:

Ways to strengthen inner thighs!

This was a really interesting post for me, as I have the same problem with my left thigh, which refuses to obey me when I want to push to the right! Will be trying all the advice offered and hope my thigh will take note!

Roseanne xxx

I went to a very interesting lecture today and it was mentioned that if one leg doesn't 'operate' as well as the other it could be that the problem is that your pelvis is tilted.
Get a friend to check you are sitting straight and our stirrups are even.

Mrs R - I am puzzled as to why you want to squeeze with your thigh? To move the horse sideways you should be nudging with your lower leg - your thigh should be soft against the saddle.

Ahhhh thank you Happy Highlande maybe thats why I'm not getting the response I want - Im doing it totally wrong!

Blimey wish I'd learnt schooling when I was younger!

Thank you xxxxx

Right...
Well you should be able to find some of these at a sports department store, they are oddly shaped, and go inbetween your knees, you hold them there so they don't pop out and then squeeze it in, release, squeeze in, release. Im sure a few of these exercises with this "object" (no idea what its called sorry,) will work. :p

If you squeeze with the whole leg you will lift your b*m out of the saddle - and all sorts of weight aids will be wrong
CHeck with your RI what she means.

newrider.com