Ways to make my pony happy

Equistudent

so much to learn...
Apr 10, 2006
Stratford upon Avon
Hi there, I am looking to find out any ways i can make my grumpy ex riding school pony a happier boy. He had a major operation to his eye 2 years ago and had to have lost of prodding and poking and this, i think, has made him wary of being handled. He is pleased to see me, but not when i come close, he doesn't welcome the sight of saddle and bridle, he is angry at being groomed, and only occassionally likes a fuss. He is 100% being ridden his ears forward, he seems to enjoy his work and there's no signs of pain, but I am getting his back checked, to eliminate that. He hasn't much grass in the his field at the mo (hopefully moving to new field v. soon), but he is getting hay each day too.
I have experimented with join up, clicker training and ground work, which increases my confidence handling him, but i can't help thinking i am bothering him, and he'd rather a bit of peace. I only ride 3/4 times a week and make sure he gets his day off in the field.
Any ideas on how to make my pony happy and to enjoy grooming and to associate me with good things will be very appreciated - I will try anything!

Poor pone, sounds like he had a hard time :-( RS ponies sometimes suffer a bit from getting handled briskly by lots of different people, so they get a bit defensive (I would too, if it was me :)).

Did you try using the clicker for rewarding relaxation when being groomed or handled? It's called counter-conditioning, makes the horse associate something they didn't like with something they do...

I think it's quite common to just use clicker training to teach horses to do something, rather than using it for that as well as for not doing something (i.e. nipping, grumpy faces, restless feet etc), but it's a really powerful way of helping those kinds of behaviours :)

It sounds like he has gone sour. The only thing that will sort him is time and consistant handling.

He may have never had his 'own person' before.

Some horses just aren't in to people! I have one who is a misery guts, nothing bad has ever happend to her, she just prefers horse company to human.

Just picking up on 'improves my confidence handling him'.

RS ponies are generally very aware that there are 'those who must be obeyed' and the others who things can be tried on. We have a few who will make new staff's life miserable but will be sweetness and light to those they know will not stand for silliness, nothing to do with being firm or unloving but everything to do with handling confidence.

Could just be he is trying you out...doesn't mean he isn't happy just may be a game he has learned that he is suceeding in making you play.

Some horses and ponies dislike grooming so i find with my horse i only groom the areas that necistate grooming, if he shows signs of not liking it he is TELLING you something. LISTEN to him, we all get caught up in the HAVE TO S AND MUSTS but this pony is telling you something, you are his owner now as when he was in the riding school people came and went every day and some people were not true to him.
Take time to spend time with your horse, observe his movements in the field and watch how he is with other horses, get to know what he likes and does not like he will appreciate you a little more.

Also as you say he hates the sight of a saddle and bridle. Wouldnt us all if we were in a riding school and each day someone got up on our back, possibly a different person each day, KICKED US TO GO AND PULLED HARD ON THE REINS TO MAKE US STOP.
YOU need to do something different you need to go into his field take a day off and just sit and watch him, then walk around do not bring a rope or headcollar and just be there make your presence known
He will then become more interested in you if you have no intention to do anything that day,

Dont get too caught up with the grooming as some ponies do not like touch as he has been in a riding school he probably had all sorts of noisy children patting him, running around and making a fuss,
REMEMBER HORSES LIKE PEACE AND QUIET.
iT is now your responsibility you owe it to this pony.

Also as you say he hates the sight of a saddle and bridle. Wouldnt us all if we were in a riding school and each day someone got up on our back, possibly a different person each day, KICKED US TO GO AND PULLED HARD ON THE REINS TO MAKE US STOP.

As a RS rider and worker, i'm a tad offended by this, not all RS riders are like that, not all RS's encourage that. It is the stereotype, but believe me its not all like that.

As for the OP, all i can say is good luck, keep confident round him as this puts you across as someone he can trust and follow, rather than having to look out for himself. Probably anyway. :)

Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragment. I definitely want to listen to my pony if he is unhappy about being groomed and try to understand why this is. I don't think it's pain related as if i give him a horselick, or hay he doen't pay me any attention and we can quite happily have a grooming session this way. I think he is fed up of being disturbed and wants peace, so i guess i will try to keep my grooming efficient and quick, but be as gentle as possible. I will definitely try your idea with the clicker training capalldubh, that can only have a positive results! eml - if he is playing a game that i`m responding too, how could i change my behaviour around him?

He's a lucky pony to have found you :)

You can use the clicker to build positive associations with saddle/bridle too, but I wouldn't do this until you're absolutely sure he's not uncomfortable (saddle fit, historical back probs, etc...). He's clearly communicating something, but it's hard to tell whether it's "go away and stop bothering me, this isn't fun" or "ow, that thing hurts". If it's the first, you can certainly make it more fun, if it's the second, it'll just confuse him.

Good luck and have fun!

newrider.com