Ways of being around horses more

georgie1

Jul 23, 2006
Cornwall
Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice really. I am 30 and have been riding again for about a year and 1/2 after a loooonnnng break.:) When i was much much younger it was easy to spend time around horses, i used to spend every weekend and all school holidays helping at the riding school i used to learn at.

And it was a great learning experience, hours and hours just being around them, but now i am....lets just say 'older' ;) i dont know how to find ways to be around the divine equines. The school I learn at is fantastic but i wouldn't feel comfortable just hanging around all day like i did when i was 12, 13, if you see what i mean.

None of my friends ride, and i know no one else with horses. I go on riding holidays on my own and meet like minded adults and just adore it but obviously they live in all parts of the country and it is only for a week or weekend.

Sorry this is sooo long and if you haven't fallen asleep, dribbling on your keyboard i would be very happy to hear any of your ideas.

Many thanks :) G

Have you thought about being a sharer? I myself when I lived in Cornwall had a share with a lovely bombproof cob she was a darling x

What's wrong with hanging around? Why not offer to help out (strictly as a volunteer, so it's under your control) - there are a number of people at my yard who do that partially for the social interaction, and partially for the love of the horses.

Most yards would jump at the chance of a having an extra "grown-up" around to help out, especially at weekends - who knows, take a few exams (with yard encouragement) and you could have a second string to your bow.

It's a thought.

SF

Thanks for replying guys.

Denbenj - I have seriously thought about sharing. As i work full time and money wise full loaning is not really an option at the moment. I am always scouring the local papers etc looking for them but i would have thought it happens more with word of mouth. A bomb proof Cob sounds amazing!! How did your share come about? If you dont mind me asking. Gx

Selle Francais - I would love to but just dont feel too comfortable doing it really, i guess there is soo many kids about. The suggestion of taking some yard exams etc sounds a really good one, will seriously think and look into that. Just never thought. Thanks Gx

When i go away for a week, the bond you build up being with the horses 24/7 just is the most amazing thing and i miss not having that all year round.

Gx

why don't you have a look around a few other yards and see if they need any extra help? as mentioned, you don't have to be paid for it, otherwise you probably won't be able to go when you want to... yard to finish off etc, but all yards I know have deficits in help most weeks due to illness or people not able to turn up. A pair of hands would have been much appreciated when I worked part time at some stables. Sometimes there were just 2 of us looking after 20 horses and the fields were a quarter of a mile away!

it will also teach you/remind you about stable management, plus it's nice having relationships with lots of horses who think you are the bee's knees cos you feed them!

Hi georgie1,
What about volunteering at your local RDA ? It's very rewarding, I could fill the whole page up about the good that it does. You could also meet the other volunteers usually I've found their the more mature rider as it were. I have a right laugh with all that are involved.

Ptaty70 - Thank you for your reply - I never expected to be paid....to be honest i thought I may have to pay!!:D
There are not an awful lot yards around, do you think i should go round and see some?

I guess i never thought of being a help more than a hinderance.. i mean i am capable and have a fair bit of sense!! well some :D

And as you say learning /reminding about stable management is all part of the experience i want to gain. I think i am just scared of being looked at strangely :eek: Gx

HorseWhisp3r3r - Good idea, have no idea where my local one is...will be googling that in a minute. Being in Cornwall is sometimes a bit of a problem in that it is quite small and there is not a concentrate of things...but i will defo have a look. As you say, it is also about meeting other horsey people in my area. Thanks :D Gx

I wouldn't worry. Some yards can be stuffy, but then there are others who really like to welcome those who are willing to learn. You wouldn't be looked at strangely! as long as you want to learn and use some common sense, you would be fine. I would sell yourself by saying you would like to just help with feeds/mucking out/hay etc first, just in case they worry about a newbie dealing with the horses. Once they see you are capable, you will find yourself doing all sorts of stuff.

Even if you just hang around with the liveries/other workers, you would learn so much. EVERYONE (as obvious from this board) likes to talk about their horses!! ask a few questions and you will learn reams and reams and reams... believe me!!!! you can't shut us up!

have more confidence and get out there and do it! RDA is a great suggestion too. I did that as a teenager as it was highly rewarding.

Go Get 'Em Gal!

Your more than welcome I have a similar problem to you as I moved a little while ago and don't know many horsey people where I am now. I always wanted to help the RDA but was to busy as I also worked with horses and had my own. I've met some really nice people and have a shire to break to harness this summer for one of the volunteers and one of the instructors has kindly invited me out for a ride with her on one of her horses. If you can't find your local RDA on here I'll see if I can help you find it. Good Luck you won't regret it, seeing the faces of the children is one of the loveliest things

Last edited:
Look out for adverts for people to exercise horses, and place your own in local tack shops, feed merchants and ad trader. I have been trying for ages to get someone suitable and finaly found a lovely girl who worked saturdays at my RI's yard. Having been asking around for the last 4 or 5 months you would not believe the number of people who just cant get reasonable riders to exercise thier horses. If you have any free time during the week you will be snapped up. So many horse owners, like me, have full time jobs and family comitments which mean that they cant keep their horses as fit as they would like. Many dont want a financial comitment or chores done (like me), however if you are prepared for these you could get a share (how I started back into riding after a 15 year break).

Gtay70 - thanks loads for the encouragement, I am sure some yards are so much different than others....will build up the courage this weekend. I am soo willing to learn and mucking out is good exercise!!:D Gx

Mike1251 - I am in South Cornwall but as they say 'have car will travel' if you have any needs for volunteers please pm me and many thanks for your reply. Gx

HorseWhisp3r3r - am about to have a search for RDA but if i have trouble, can i PM you?

All your support is fantastic...really appreciate it...i do love this site :)

G

Lucyad - What a good idea, i will definately think about maybe puting cards in tack shops or ads in free papers. I do work full time, but even if someone just wants help with chores etc...all good experience. thanks :) Gx

just to add on my previous post cos on re-reading thought it might sound a tad condescending which wasn't intended (if it did).... I meant ask questions etc as you will find that stable management has changed LOADS in the last 10-15 years. I found that too after a break of about the same amount of time. (I bought CW when I was 28 after a 10 year break).

(I am going to remind myself of those old ways as I have just found my old 'Jill and ....... Pony' books where ponies were given warm bran mash after a day's hunting!!!!!! hmmm can't wait for my trip down memory lane!!)

Had a thought, is there anyone you get on well with at the yard. Invite them out for a drink!! i've found that's the best way of getting to know people! Ooooo, and why not hang around and watch other people's lessons.... helping put up jumps etc. You'd be EVERYONE'S best friend!

Ptaty70 - Not condscending at all!! Please dont even think it! ooo things always go well over a drink...good plan! I LOVED the Jill books...ah bless, do you know i think i could happily re read the whole lot and be blissful :D
Loads of ideas to try...Gx

Hi georgie1.

Have you thought of asking round at livery yards to see if there is anyone with a retired horse you could help out with? I know on our yard they have one or two they've kind of been dumped with, which I just know they'd love some help with. Pity you don't live nearer me as I can think of several.

You might like to put an ad in some of the bigger livery yard offices or wherever saying you'd like to help out and that you'd be happy to help with a retired horse. If you do, do mention you're an adult. That may sound awful but most of the offers I have had when looking for a sharer have been from 12 year olds. Not that I have a thing against 12 year olds, I should add. just would be worried about the legal position if anything happened.

Good luck.x

hey great idea cazrider!

orrrr for example, some owners at DIY or assisted DIY can only go up once a day as they live too far away. They may just like someone to turn out and do a few general little jobs in the morning or the evening... and then you get to hang around horses and potentially meet lots of other owners... (who may want to go out for a drink!!!! god, I sound like an alcoholic but find many of my horsey friends like to chat horses over a glass - or two - of wine!!)

good idea about stating you are an adult. They can always just try you out first anyway to check your understanding of horses!

Evening All!!

Cazrider - What a great idea, many thanks for the suggestion. I have only ever thought about riding schools, never thought about looking for livery yards etc. Have no idea if there are any around, presume there must be some. Will definately investigate that option and i do love actually riding but to get to know and build a relationship with a horse and dont ride would still be amazing. Its definately a pity i dont live near you!! :D

Ptaty70 - I totally agree with you..a drink goes a long way. To be honest if you combine horse talk and a glass of red i think that is my ideal way to spend some time...he he
Am getting on the case, just getting the courage up to make the move. Thanks loads for support Ptaty70. Gx

newrider.com