Waterproof Top Fly Rugs?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Well, who has them and what do we think?

Am generally very diligent on weather reports on Tobes behalf. I have three weather apps on my phone and consult those daily as well as the Western Morning.

Sadly, the Metoffice, Metcheck, Accuweather and the Western Morning have been sadly lacking for many days now, causing me to turn Tobes out on Sunday in a fly rug (it TIPPED down), and today in a light weight - it was hot and didn't rain at all!!

Now, I know lots will say let horses be horses, but Tobes is a few spot appaloosa. He detests getting wet, gets a burnt nose at the drop of a hat, and the midges and flies plague him, so it is important I get it right!!

Does anyone have one of the fly rugs with the waterproof top to it and if so, what do you think?

We use the sweet itch hood by Rambo and whilst the rug gets wet she is always dry underneath - don't even use the detachable liner as I worry about her sweating :)

I had the weatherbeeta one and really liked it. It was cooler than a normal rainsheet however you did still end up with a slightly sweaty horse if it was like our weather was here today - a mix of torrential downpours, and warm sunny spells!

I liked the fit of weatherbeeta for Rubic but I also like Swish horse rugs and they now do a rainsheet/fly rug combo thing. I like the quality of their fly rug that I just bought and I have to say if the mesh on the rainsheet/fly rug combo then I actually think theirs might be lighter than the weatherbeeta.

I was going to say try a Boett or the cheaper version of. It dries quickly and protects from flies.

I have Dolly in the Rambo's too - if really wet weather is forecast I put the sheet liner on underneath, but if it is very warm I don't bother as she would swelter. And they do dry out very quickly in the summer anyway.

newrider.com