Waterproof fly rugs

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Does anyone use a fly rug with the waterproof back bit? Are they good? Do they get hot?

Niko is an itchy ticklish lad, when it rains he gets in a tiz, angsty and itchy šŸ¤£ flys also bug him but heā€™s not as bad with those, heā€™s just sensitive skinned. Got caught out by a storm last night and he was manic itching on the new shelter and rolling šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Heā€™s got cheap rugs, Iā€™ve been trying to avoid spending much as heā€™s growing and playing with Hank they get wrecked. His fly rug is pretty well shredded now so Iā€™m trying to decide if I replace it with a rain fly, but not sure if Iā€™ll need a regular one as summer wears on? Maybe I go regular fly now and just keep chucking his no fill TO over the top šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Mattie used to have a rain fly sheet because he gets rainscald along his spine. It lasted longer than a normal fly sheet (mine rarely last a season TBH) but not as long as a rug - a couple of seasons I think.

I am hoping to be able to manage without going forward but it sounds as though Niko might benefit from one. Sid is a girl's blouse in the rain but it doesn't actually seem to do him any harm.

Reactions: Jessey
Iā€™ve got one šŸ˜ canā€™t help with your question though, never been out of the bag, doubt it will do now as the yard weā€™re on isnā€™t anywhere near as bad for flies as the last two yards.

• Haha
Iā€™ve got one šŸ˜ canā€™t help with your question though, never been out of the bag, doubt it will do now as the yard weā€™re on isnā€™t anywhere near as bad for flies as the last two yards.
Itā€™s not a 5ā€™9ā€ that you want to sell is it šŸ˜

I use one on Buddy, Gallop is the brand, it isn't as generous as the other fly rugs he wears but so far hasn't sweated up in it. Or sometimes i show a no fill rug on top of the fly rug instead

I found one in a sale for Ā£40 so got it, I quite like it, the waterproof back seems to stop it stretching and pulling back like most mesh rugs do. Now to see if it stands up to the Hank and Niko play test!

I found one in a sale for Ā£40 so got it, I quite like it, the waterproof back seems to stop it stretching and pulling back like most mesh rugs do. Now to see if it stands up to the Hank and Niko play test!
Sorry Jessey I forgot to check, been a bit busy. Glad youā€™ve got one now though.

Answering my own question but for anyone else interested who comes across this thread later. Waterproof fly rugs are definitely much warmer, Niko was sweating under his yesterday morning when it was warm.

newrider.com