Water and Oil Doesn't Mix

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
On another forum a trainer said in conversation that he teaches lots of people, sometimes though the partnership just doesnt gel. No matter what you do, how much time you take, how much you try, the partnership just doesn't work.
Water and Oil don't mix. It never will. I found that quite a simple explanation and sums up the fact that if you have a horse that's not right for you, the partnership won't ever work fully for you.

I'd agree with that. It's a relationship. There has to be that indefinable something that makes you want to stay in it!

Yep I agree too, ime some horses I've just clicked with some I've just rode, in my life there's only been a handful that have got under my skin and it's been in incredibly hard to part with, there were 2 that I still get upset over ( my 12.2hh first pony and a 148cm gelding I had). My cob is in the clicked with bracket and now I'm seriously thinking of compromising to keep him, although I'm very lucky I'm not in livery so mine are quite cheap to keep and so this is a possibility for me. xx

The cob used to be very full on her opinions, if she didn't like someone, she wouldnt be afraid to put that across.
I did click with her though even as a blank canvas. I like a challenge and something to work on.
Someone asked me what happens if you don't like her under saddle, I think that's the biggest risk you take. Friends have bought horses from the field without riding, if you take on a youngster you have essentially just done that.

I bought my cob from the field with very low mileage but he has something about him, even when he's having his moments I feel safe, I think that's why I love him. The fact he is a pony stuck in a horses body helps too:rolleyes::D;). Also my cobs a herd leader but he is so loving on the ground but cheeky at times that he's hard not to love, he's 9.5 bone and jogs and when being silly does little broncs in excitement and just loves his work, he is just a very sweet and so nice natured he's won my heart.:oops: Xx

Last edited:
Reactions: KP nut
My old Icelandic and I never got on together, I sold him in the end as it was making us both miserable, He went to another woman who didn't get on with him, then he went to a man and he was happy

newrider.com